Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I've converted most of my video library (DVD only) using handbrake. Today I got a LG-bluray (BE14NU40 14x, USB3). When trying to read the source, handbrake (0.99) diaplay a message "No valid source found". Since I know handbrake uses VLC for deconding my assumption is something have to be done on VLC or I should install some decoding program for handbrake.

Does anybody have a good path to rip bluray discs to m4v extension to use with ATV3?

Hardware: iMac 27, I7 3.4GHz, OSX 10.8.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Use MakeMKV to rip the bluray, then convert or remux to m4v.

Are you using handbrake to remux from the .mkv files or something else?
In case you are using handbrake for 1080P rip you are using RF set to what number? 18, 17...?

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Are you using handbrake to remux from the .mkv files or something else?
In case you are using handbrake for 1080P rip you are using RF set to what number? 18, 17...?

Handbrake is incapable of remuxing. Any video file that goes in will be transcoded. I use MP4Tools to do remuxing.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
The only problem with remuxing it will keep the file size, on my case around 40GB. I got no issues transcoding since I need to be played on ATV3.

I see itunes 1080P files size for a 2 hours movie around 6GB. Since I know Itunes sourcing to create those file is much better that we have on bluray discs I was looking for something around 10-12GB per movie on 1080P.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Handbrake no longer uses VLC as a source of libraries for ripping. You have to download and install them manually. Check out the HB website for links.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
The only problem with remuxing it will keep the file size, on my case around 40GB. I got no issues transcoding since I need to be played on ATV3.

I see itunes 1080P files size for a 2 hours movie around 6GB. Since I know Itunes sourcing to create those file is much better that we have on bluray discs I was looking for something around 10-12GB per movie on 1080P.

Ahhh I see. Most bluray people are all "transcoding bad, quality loss, grumble grumble, me tarzan"...

The easiest way is to simply rip with MakeMKV, then convert using Handbrake with the High Profile setting. [/url]

EDIT: Retracted wrong info. Thanks for jumping in Julien + Dynaflash.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just to add my 2¢. Handbrake can't read AACS protected content which BD has. AACS must be removed prior to HB encoding. MakeMKV removes AACS.

I took the High Profile setting and made my own. Off hand (best I remember) I increased the x264 slider to the 2ed slowest setting. In Picture Settings I removed all cropping for a 1080x1920 picture. In Audio for track 1 I always use Passthrough for a TrueHD track or transcode DTS to DD. I make a second track in AAC for iTunes and iDevices.

The files are in the 6GB to 15GB range.

Last edited:

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
Handbrake no longer uses VLC as a source of libraries for ripping. You have to download and install them manually. Check out the HB website for links.

mic j,
Can't find these links on HB website. Will have them by any chance?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
HandBrake can not decode protected blu ray. As was mentioned above it must be removed separately with something like makemkv first. Then transcoded with HB if you want.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
mic j,
Can't find these links on HB website. Will have them by any chance?
See post #7.

But I will say that I also use MakeMKV to decryption. It has worked flawlessly for me on both dvd and BR content, is free, and simple to use. The only major modification I made to it's preferences was to disregard any files under 1500s. That usually gets you down to a single main movie file and it's associated files (audio, subtitles, etc).

For HB, I recommend using the aTV3 preset with these modification: check web optimized (for improved streaming ability) and Picture set to "anamorphic strict". I then make these a custom preset/default so you never have to mess with it again. This yields an output almost indistinguishable from the input source. If you want, you can play with the RF slider to play around with quality vs file size, 18-22 is the most used range. A little lower quality setting for BR and a little higher for dvd. The aTV preset will automatically handle your audio conversion, including a 2-channel AAC track for compatibility. Subtitles are an option. If you suspect forced subtitles, select Foreign Audio Search as a subtitles track option on the Subtitles tab. That setting runs an algorithm that will find most forced subtitles and burn them in. It's not 100% but it's pretty good. The cost will be a few extra minutes on the transcode time because it has to search and run it's algorithm on the input file.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I also use the MakeMKV then handbrake with Apple TV 3 preset method, not much I can add that hasn't already been said about it. I'm very happy with the resulting quality and file size.

One thing to note about the Foreign Audio Search though. Sometimes you can get unexpected results if there is no subtitles for foreign audio. For example, I was encoding the Blu-Rays of the 6 Star Wars films the other day. I couldn't remember which ones didn't have forced subtitles so to be safe I use the Foreign Audio Search on all 6.

Turns out, episodes III and V don't have any foreign language subtitles. So instead the search picked up on the subtitles for the audio commentary, which tell you who is speaking on the commentary. So while watching the movie I now had the names of people popping up at the top of the screen at random intervals.

Since they were burned in I had to re-encode the both movies again. Lesson learned!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I also use the MakeMKV then handbrake with Apple TV 3 preset method, not much I can add that hasn't already been said about it. I'm very happy with the resulting quality and file size.

One thing to note about the Foreign Audio Search though. Sometimes you can get unexpected results if there is no subtitles for foreign audio. For example, I was encoding the Blu-Rays of the 6 Star Wars films the other day. I couldn't remember which ones didn't have forced subtitles so to be safe I use the Foreign Audio Search on all 6.

Turns out, episodes III and V don't have any foreign language subtitles. So instead the search picked up on the subtitles for the audio commentary, which tell you who is speaking on the commentary. So while watching the movie I now had the names of people popping up at the top of the screen at random intervals.

Since they were burned in I had to re-encode the both movies again. Lesson learned!
Yeah, I usually look through the audio tracks MakeMKV scan prior to remuxing and eliminate all audio tracks not relevant to the main movie. Doing that would eliminate that file for the HB search. Thankfully, it's a rare occurrence. Also, I often consult an AVS Forum spreadsheet that lists movies with forced subtitles, so I have a pretty good idea on whether I have to do the Foreign Audio Search or not.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
See post #7.

But I will say that I also use MakeMKV to decryption. ........

For HB, I recommend using the aTV3 preset with these modification: check web optimized (for improved streaming ability) and Picture set to "anamorphic strict". I then make these a custom preset/default so you never have to mess with it again. ..............

That's exactly I'm doing for DVD's and using RF on 19. Now on BR I would play a little with the RF slider to find something in the middle of good quality and file size, up to 12GB per movie I won't care for a BR ripping.

Would you advise to play with x264 slider? default is "medium".
on the picture setting on crop side I'd like to have all 0/0/0/0. Is there any disadvantage doing so?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That's exactly I'm doing for DVD's and using RF on 19. Now on BR I would play a little with the RF slider to find something in the middle of good quality and file size, up to 12GB per movie I won't care for a BR ripping.

Would you advise to play with x264 slider? default is "medium".
on the picture setting on crop side I'd like to have all 0/0/0/0. Is there any disadvantage doing so?
My suggestion is to establish a base process based on the above. I don't think messing with the x264 slider (or the zillion options) is worth it unless you are specifically seeing something in your transcode that you think you can improve. It's easy to get lost in HB setting manipulation. Source quality varies a lot, and personally, I found myself wasting a lot of time trying to improve things that couldn't be improved. I know that a lot of effort was spent by the developers trying to optimize the aTV3 setting to give a good balance of quality/file size/encoding time. It's going to be hard to beat it, but we all have different sensitivities to transcoding artifacts. So if you are noticing something that is really distracting while watching a movie, then you might want to visit the HB forum and get some developer help on how you might going about setting improvements.

I use Autocrop. There is really no use in keeping the black area around the movie unless you just like to have a larger file size.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Ahhh I see. Most bluray people are all "transcoding bad, quality loss, grumble grumble, me tarzan"...

The easiest way is to simply rip with MakeMKV, then convert using Handbrake with the High Profile setting. [/url]

EDIT: Retracted wrong info. Thanks for jumping in Julien + Dynaflash.

Handbrake cannot as yet read BRD's. MKV is a paid for but very very useful app.

My own workflow is to rip the BRD in MKV, selecting the correct title..this takes a little practice, but look for the largest file Nd untick the rest.

You then have an MKV file which VLC will play as is, or you can then run it through handbrake choosing the preset you want....the handbrake rips take a while though, so I tend to stash the MKV files on my Pegasus and handbrake them when I've got a couple of hours spare

There are apps that will do 3D too, but the aren't cheap DVD Fab, Roxio toast premium will retain 3D content if that's what you want to do....I just want to be able to play my movies on my iPad or phone, so the 3D thing isn't an issue....I have the discs so can watch in 3D if I wish.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Just to be accurate, MakeMKV is totally free for dvd and free for BR's while it is in "beta". It's been in beta for years. A new key is posted on the website each month. You just have to cut and paste that key in the MakeMKV registration window and it will run. If you purchase it, you are guaranteed free lifetime upgrades.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just to be accurate, MakeMKV is totally free for dvd and free for BR's while it is in "beta". It's been in beta for years. A new key is posted on the website each month. You just have to cut and paste that key in the MakeMKV registration window and it will run. If you purchase it, you are guaranteed free lifetime upgrades.

That's weird....I got the beta a long time ago, went through and up to 1.80, then got hit with the purchase button....I bought it as its invaluable, and you are correct in saying that once registered its lifetime, and not just one Mac either. Maybe it's something they do for new users?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That's weird....I got the beta a long time ago, went through and up to 1.80, then got hit with the purchase button....I bought it as its invaluable, and you are correct in saying that once registered its lifetime, and not just one Mac either. Maybe it's something they do for new users?
Nope, just updated my key (and version) today by doing the above. When the key expires, you will get a message saying it has expired and you need register your product to continue (and if I remember correctly, you are also provided a purchase button). But honestly, it's worth the purchase price and it's good to support the developer. I was just about ready to purchase it myself and then decided to with streaming instead of ripping. So I keep it up to date, but no longer use it much.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
My suggestion is to establish a base process based on the above. .......

I agree with you the very old saying "the excellent is the worst enemy of the good" . Sometime the good is good enough.
I used HB to transcode from a 42GB MKV 1080P file using ATV3 preset with web optimized, picture strict and RF slider on 19.
it still going. about 3 hours now.

The FPS is between 13-15. Is it normal? My expectation was to run around 50fps.

My PC is an 2013 Imac 27, with I7 3.4Ghz, 32GB RAM and GPU GTX 680MX.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I agree with you the very old saying "the excellent is the worst enemy of the good" . Sometime the good is good enough.
I used HB to transcode from a 42GB MKV 1080P file using ATV3 preset with web optimized, picture strict and RF slider on 19.

I really don't know about your fps. I think I remember being under 10fps on my old duo core and for dvd's I would expect more the 50fps figure. I usually just let my BR's go overnight. I think it took between 9-11 hrs, depending. It's all about CPU not RAM, so I would think, your iMac would be about as fast as you can get. It is a slow process, no doubt about it.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008

That sounds about right to me. I've got one of the newest minis (2.6 GHz i7) and on the encode that's running currently (with the RF slider at 20) I'm averaging just over 13 fps. It makes sense that your iMac would be a bit faster than that, but not overwhelmingly faster. It's just really slow on any (reasonable) current computer. Maybe in a few years we'll be seeing 50 fps. Of course by then we'll probably be dealing with 4k video being slow!

@mic j - Thanks for the tip on the subtitles. I'll have to remember that next time.

dante.martins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2012
That sounds about right to me. I've got one of the newest minis (2.6 GHz i7) and on the encode that's running currently (with the RF slider at 20) I'm averaging just over 13 fps. It makes sense that your iMac would be a bit faster than that, but not overwhelmingly faster. It's just really slow on any (reasonable) current computer. Maybe in a few years we'll be seeing 50 fps. Of course by then we'll probably be dealing with 4k video being slow!

Found it. I had a firefox with tons of tab opened and the most of them had some animation, flash, etc. I kill it it's running around 22-25 fps.

I'd like to thank everyone here for all help provided. mic j, your suggestions was very good. I'm loving HB 0.99. Very good product.

As soon I finish 2 or 3 movies I will post here the results. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.