Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I just realized I saw a sign of hope.

In that small matter of scrolling in Safari going upward opens up the search bar at the top and going downward hides it.

When its going down you are likely reading. When its going up, you are likely done browsing and heading back to the top. But now you dont have to.

If you arent leaving thats fine too. But now its done right. (This is a new beta 3 feature right??)

So. It seems things here and there are being significantly redesigned.

The trajectory looks hopeful. What if Jony Ive is just taking us along for some bombastic ride where by the end its like a whole new polished super system of peace.

The question is how much more can they do?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
been there since beta 2. I had my "aha!" moment when someone brought it to my attention that I could just tap the bottom to expose the menu without scrolling up.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
been there since beta 2. I had my "aha!" moment when someone brought it to my attention that I could just tap the bottom to expose the menu without scrolling up.

No, now it just appears from mere scrolling...

lint2015

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
Are you absolutely sure?

Um, this has been the way it worked since beta 1. :p If you scroll down back up slowly, the controls won't appear. Only if you do it fast.

It's good for most purposes, but it's kind of annoying to have to slight scroll up to access the tabs button if you change tabs a lot like me. I wish there was a gesture that takes you directly to the tabs screen since you need to go there to close tabs.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Is it more smooth now or what? It just popped out at me.

Something has to be different. Snappier maybe.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Yup, this has been in iOS 7 since beta 1 was released. Still a great feature though, it can just be a bit annoying when the bars pop up with a tiny bit of movement.
They've reduced the sensitivity in b3; there's now a bit of 'dead zone' when you scroll up, before the bar pops up.

edit: upon further use it seems that it's more about how quickly you swipe down - if you go fairly slowly the top/bottom bars will never pop up. Cool!

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
In the betas before 3, the top bar would not disappear completely when browsing in landscape. Now it does. When scrolling the whole screen shows the whole web page, something it did in iOS 6 too, but not in iOS 7 beta 1 or 2....so the OP is correct...in sort. Definately an improvement.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I just realized I saw a sign of hope.

In that small matter of scrolling in Safari going upward opens up the search bar at the top and going downward hides it.

When its going down you are likely reading. When its going up, you are likely done browsing and heading back to the top. But now you dont have to.

If you arent leaving thats fine too. But now its done right. (This is a new beta 3 feature right??)

So. It seems things here and there are being significantly redesigned.

The trajectory looks hopeful. What if Jony Ive is just taking us along for some bombastic ride where by the end its like a whole new polished super system of peace.

The question is how much more can they do?

Couldn't be that amazing to you if you didn't notice it during the first two betas......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.