Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
So my backlight is dying on me. Screen would flicker every once in a while for the past few months. Now, the top 1/8 of the monitor just dims, like that section of backlighting goes out. And yes the little light in the corner is giving me an SOS or whatever lol!

If I turn it off and on again, its fine for a few seconds and the top section dims out. I can still see just fine, just a band at the top of the screen that is about 50% dimmer than the rest.

How much does a replair like this usually cost? Been a great monitor, almost 10 years old and on about 24/7. I guess it's just time for it.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
Update!!!

So...after some random digging it was suggested that zapping my PRAM would fix my monitor. I didn't really buy into that cause it doesn't seem like one would have anything to do with the other, but I did it anyway. And what do you know? It worked!!! Screen no longer dims at the top and the led no longer gives me the SOS.

Love how Apple would never teach this trick...

But on another note, the screen is rather yellow in comparison to a 30" ACD that I just picked up. I read that you can buy new CCFL backlighting tubes to fix that. Anyone have any experience with that?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Glad you got it figured out! As far as the new backlighting tubes, how hard of a task would this be to replace? I have a 23" ACD and will consider getting this done if/when they dim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.