Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 5S May Include Slow Motion Video Recording Feature

Code hidden inside iOS 7 suggests that the next generation iPhone could include a new "Mogul" camera mode, offering video recording at a rate of 120 frames-per-second, reports 9to5Mac.
Quote:
According to our analysis and testing of the code, "Mogul" is a feature in development that allows the iPhone to capture video at an exceptionally fast and precise rate. Specifically, our testing indicates that the feature can allow the iPhone to record video at a rate of 120 frames-per-second (FPS). The resolution at which this 120FPS video could be recorded at, however, is currently unclear.
Capturing video at 120FPS would allow iPhone users to create slow motion films. Slow motion video requires frames to be captured at a fast rate, which then appear to be slowed down when replayed at a standard speed.

Many action cameras, such as the GoPro Hero3, include slow motion recording capabilities. Samsung's popular flagship phone, the Galaxy S4, also includes a slow motion mode. While the code does not suggest a resolution for Apple's Mogul mode, recording at 120FPS often requires a lower resolution. The video below demonstrates 120FPS video shot with the Samsung Galaxy Camera.

While testing the mode, 9to5Mac found that Mogul would not activate on an iPhone 5 due to unsupported hardware, which suggests that it is intended for a future iPhone. Like Siri was reserved for the iPhone 4S, Mogul may be reserved for the iPhone 5S.

As the iPhone has grown in popularity as a photography device, Apple has worked hard to improve the camera, continually adding new features like Panorama mode and volume shutter control.

Many of these upgrades come alongside Apple's "S" phone releases. The iPhone 4S, for example, featured an 8-megapixel rear camera, which was a significant upgrade from the iPhone 4's 5-megapixels.

Apple is expected to make similar upgrades to the iPhone's camera with the 5S, including a 12-megapixel rear camera and improved night shooting capabilities in addition to the possible Mogul mode. iOS 7 also brings a number of camera improvements to developers, including full support for high frame-rate content and 60-frames-per second capture capabilities. Both iOS 7 and the iPhone 5S are expected to debut in the fall.

Article Link: iPhone 5S May Include Slow Motion Video Recording Feature
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Aidyn's X
macrumors regular

Cool. But I wouldn't use it much.
Aidyn's X is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidyn's X View Post
Cool. But I wouldn't use it much.
Agreed doesn't sound like anything I would use.
appleisking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

it's about time they catch up

and are they going to make it waterproof ("whatever" proof) like samsung
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:52 PM   #5
waylandprod
macrumors newbie

That's a feature that would be great for high-action stuff... but it's all about HOW it's used. First slow motion mass-produced cameras will inspire new creative ways to use the medium, I say go for it. Why not?!
waylandprod is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:52 PM   #6
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Would be an awesome feature. Explains why the iphone 5's camera is so similar to the 4S's, this way Apple can kill two birds with one stone when they release the reason it's not supported. Looking forward to jailbreaking my 5 and using it on iOS 7.
acorntoy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:53 PM   #7
tekmoe
macrumors 68000

I love using this feature on my Note 2.
tekmoe is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:53 PM   #8
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
It would be fun to use with hummingbirds
voyagerd is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Mobile923
macrumors 6502

The S stands for Slow
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:55 PM   #10
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
And aslo 128 GB version of iPhone! High speed video require lots of memory space!
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerd View Post
It would be fun to use with hummingbirds
I don't think it would be a fast enough FPS.
MisterKeeks is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #12
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Why not?

Filmic Pro allows for the iPhone5 to do fast motion filming so why not slow motion as well in a new version of hardware?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:56 PM   #13
kskill
macrumors member

Hoping for an even better killer 5S-exclusive app than this, but pretty awesome regardless.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Krazy Bill
Banned

Oh joy. That's all I need. It takes forever to watch some of the crap I see now.
Krazy Bill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #15
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Would rather have waterproof. Like that company at CES a few years ago...had some kind of product that they dipped the iPhone in...and it was totally usable underwater.

That would be really useful.
applefanDrew is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:58 PM   #16
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post

Shall we feed the troll? I'm feeling a bit bored this afternoon.

Ok I'll do it:

There's already apps on the App Store that can shoot in slow motion. It'll just be natively supported and therefore work much better.

Let the fun begin!
acorntoy is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 02:59 PM   #17
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

I like the fact that Apple keeps pushing new features into the camera, even though I don't use the iPhone's camera all that often.

I still think a good P&S camera takes better pictures, so why do I like them doing this?

Because, it is forcing P&S camera manufactures to innovate and come up with new features, such as smile detection, blink detection, built-in slow motion, pet modes, built-in panoramic stitching, built-in special effects.

Do these sound familiar? Yes, Apple has either added these or will be adding many of these features. But bottom line is the P&S cameras did it first, so if Apple adds these features, what will the camera manufactures come up with next?

This is exactly how innovation should be working, each company/industry pushing the other to move forward instead of filing lawsuits and causing companies to go bankrupt, etc.
cmwade77 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:00 PM   #18
decimortis
macrumors 6502

awwwwwwwesssssooooooommmmmmeeee.....
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #19
biggest father1
macrumors newbie

Nice!

Auto Motion Plus and this would make for some great slow-mo footage!
biggest father1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #20
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

There are third party apps now that offer the slow motion processing, although I don't know if it'll be higher quality when run "natively".

Regardless, I hope they allow the 4s to do this ('cause my and my wife's 4s'es will be handed down to my kids and they would love the feature (they're always stealing my phone to make "action movies" with their toys, etc.), so this could be fun.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Bet it looks real nice holding a tablet to record video.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:04 PM   #22
heov
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorntoy View Post
Shall we feed the troll? I'm feeling a bit bored this afternoon.

Ok I'll do it:

There's already apps on the App Store that can shoot in slow motion. It'll just be natively supported and therefore work much better.

Let the fun begin!
Link? Just curious about this. Didn't know app store apps offered native 120fps video. Please don't link to the apps that blur the frames or produce the extra frames. I mean snap 120 frames per second.
heov is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:05 PM   #23
acorntoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by heov View Post
Link? Just curious about this. Didn't know app store apps offered native 120fps video.

Can't link on my phone D:
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:06 PM   #24
robjulo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Bet it looks real nice holding a tablet to record video.
No one forced him to the size of the Note 2. He chose that. Imagine that. Choices to suit your own needs.
robjulo is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:07 PM   #25
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I bet the big screen makes it easy to get good shots too.

Damn it, Apple, give me a bigger screen phone NOW. Enough with this one-size-to-rule-them-all crap. (Not counting the 4/4s; it isn't the "current" iPhone).

You don't do it with laptops, desktops, nor iPads. W. T. F.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion