Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
So i had some trouble with the iphone 5 a couple months ago. Anyway, picked another one up last week and I really got to experience AT&T's data network. WOW, I am totally blown away. I was in Miami over the weekend and I was getting around 40mbps down on SpeedTest.net. It was very consistent, and I never once saw "4G" which I learned is fake 4G.

So today I am in Houston for business and my speedtest just topped out at like 62mbps. WOW. The lowest I am getting is around 40mbps. My buddy who is on Verizon was not getting anything past 10mbps on LTE. His pings where also a lot higher than mine. Call quality seemed a lot better with AT&T too.

Of course none of this means squat with my 5GB plan, but boy I don't think another network can deliver speeds like that. Very, very satisfied AT&T user.

They also dominiate Chicago and its suburbs too.

Check out my speedtests...

ic1baq.png
LTE turned off

1endj8.png

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
That's AT&T, but you have to pay the high price. I don't get such speeds on t-mobile, I pay less. I wish t-mobile had those crazy fast LTE data speeds.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Give it another year or so and AT&T's network will be congested like Verizon's.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
That's AT&T, but you have to pay the high price. I don't get such speeds on t-mobile, I pay less. I wish t-mobile had those crazy fast LTE data speeds.

T-Mobile is nice where eh have coverage but even then it's spotty. I found them to be very inconsistent. With an AWS phone, and in a good coverage area it would switch to EDGE with the cell site in view. The pings on their HSPA+ network also were all over the place.

Hopefully they upgrade all their EDGE only towers. While I'd rather save money, I'd also pay a tad bit more to have a better network experience.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Give it another year or so and AT&T's network will be congested like Verizon's.

Not if its properly maintained. Verizon just cares about putting LTE everywhere. While that's great, they also have to maintain it also. If AT&T's 4G LTE network does get congested, the user can simply turn LTE off and use the H+ network. With speeds from 5-10mbps who needs LTE killing the battery?

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Omg. Another 'AT&T is better than Verizon thread'. Give it time as someone else said and you feel the congestion after awhile. Plus it seems like your right under a cell tower by the way you have a solid 5 bars.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Speeds like this speak for the self. Verizon possibly could hit 60 down on LTE in a non populated area but no way could they ever get 12 down on their pathetic 3G. Haha

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
It's the opposite of this in Los Angeles / Orange County. LTE there is sometimes slower than HSPA. Side by side against my friend's Verizon iPhone 5, I got 2mbps while she got 40mbps.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
It's sad when AT&T LTE is slower than their HSPA+. My cousin who has AT&T did a speed test in Bossier City, Louisiana on both networks. LTE-9 down; HSPA+-13 down. Similar latency.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
So i had some trouble with the iphone 5 a couple months ago. Anyway, picked another one up last week and I really got to experience AT&T's data network. WOW, I am totally blown away. I was in Miami over the weekend and I was getting around 40mbps down on SpeedTest.net. It was very consistent, and I never once saw "4G" which I learned is fake 4G.

So today I am in Houston for business and my speedtest just topped out at like 62mbps. WOW. The lowest I am getting is around 40mbps. My buddy who is on Verizon was not getting anything past 10mbps on LTE. His pings where also a lot higher than mine. Call quality seemed a lot better with AT&T too.

Of course none of this means squat with my 5GB plan, but boy I don't think another network can deliver speeds like that. Very, very satisfied AT&T user.

They also dominiate Chicago and its suburbs too.

Check out my speedtests...

Image LTE turned off

Couldn't agree more! In NYC

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Having solid 5 bars is more the rule and not the exception in my area. AT&T may cost more but I have found their service to be with out fault!:p

Last edited by a moderator:

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
So today I am in Houston for business and my speedtest just topped out at like 62mbps.

What part of Houston were you in? Did you go around town much, or did you pretty much stay in the same general area? I'm just curious what their LTE speeds are like in different parts of town.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
What part of Houston were you in? Did you go around town much, or did you pretty much stay in the same general area? I'm just curious what their LTE speeds are like in different parts of town.

This was pretty much all over. Very consistent speeds!!! Even with 2-3 bars I'd still pull at least 30mbps.

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
I am on sprint ,which we all know their speeds are terrible . But recently started getting 4g in my area,not LTE and their speeds are pretty good for 4g.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-07-10-14-48-54.png
    Screenshot_2013-07-10-14-48-54.png
    822.6 KB · Views: 144

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I've never had above 10MBPS on Sprint "LTE".

History will repeat itself.

Verizon will have the most LTE coverage (considerably slower than AT&T)
AT&T will have the fastest LTE, like how they had the fastest 3G.
T-Mobile is late to the game again
Sprint will have the most pathetic speeds.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Doubtful.

Doesn't really matter to me if you believe me or not, anything around 10Mbps is fast enough with a low ping. You would hardly notice a difference between 20Mbps and 10Mbps with roughly the same ping, however going from 10Mbps with say a 50ms ping to 20Mbps and a 150ms ping would make that 20Mbps seem equivalent to say 1-2Mbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.