Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has launched a fourth anti-iPad television advertisement, once again highlighting the iPad's inability to run multiple apps at the same time.

In the ad two baseball scouts using an iPad and a Windows 8 tablet vie to sign same player, with the Windows 8 user coming out on top thanks to the tablet's ability to simultaneously display two apps on the screen.

The spot is part of a series that is dedicated to underlining the iPad's flaws in comparison to various Windows 8 devices. Other ads have focused on the iPad's high price, its lack of built-in productivity apps, and its non-expandable storage. Microsoft has also launched a website comparing the iPad to a Windows 8 tablet, which turned out to be inaccurate.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Fourth Anti-iPad Ad Highlighting Windows 8 Multitasking Capabilities

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Of course since nobody is actually using a Windows tablet they are actually doing 0 things at once.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Well, it helps that the iPad guy doesn't know what he's doing. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it's not that hard to multitask with the iPad with the multi-touch gestures, and it's really quick if you get the hang of it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Bit of a BS example since any scout would look up that info and know it before even deciding to make the call.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure you switch from Facetime and the audio keeps going just fine (as long as you arent trying to play or record audio) which would make the ad false advertising

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
I LOVE my iPad, but seriously i wish it had this kind of multitasking. Like the NOTE 10.1 and the Galaxy S3, and S4, Note 2...:D

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
actually even tho i like android for my phone, apples ipad is the best by a long way for tablets. windows 8 is horrible there is not chance in a million years i would buy 1. multi tasking or not.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I doubt this will blow the tumbleweed away from the Surface tablet.
It is almost sad seeing MS so bitter...., but only almost:)

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
the only advantage the guy using the surface had was that he could see the guy in the skype calls face while he read the info out.
game changer.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Que the angry comments against Microsoft. Apple did Mac v PC, Microsoft actually have the balls to do something similar: Let them.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I haven't used a Surface yet, but I've used Windows 8, and Jesus, what a disaster that is. If that's what to expect, I don't want to multitask anything, I would wedge the thing under a door somewhere.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I agree with you on wishing we had the multitasking capability. It's pretty annoying that when you get out it goes black on the other end. And that little window thing would be pretty sweet!
I LOVE my iPad, but seriously i wish it had this kind of multitasking. Like the NOTE 10.1 and the Galaxy S3, and S4, Note 2...:D

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
LOL WUT? this is showing skype... skype is their own application... showing that they did a ***** job on their own application for another platform isn't exactly looking good on them if you know what you're looking at in this commercial...

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
My take on these ads.

These ads are funny but only in the respect that they seem to underscore the market leader. When given the choice, most people are gonna wanna take the route of least resistance, meaning the iPad. The I'm a PC I'm a Mac ads were different in that most people ALREADY had a PC.
The tablet market is so new, the NEW customer is gonna go with the tied and true.
Microsoft should be making ads that don't even mention the iPad if it wants any credibility that it can stand on its own.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Why would it take 10x longer to get the information if you can't see the guys face? Not getting it

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Fanboys are a bit annoying...

I have an IPad, and iOS is behind other platforms in terms of overall functions usability, and available APIs for devs. Sorry, it is.. But with that said, "It's all about the apps". And iOS apps themselves are still a bit more plentiful and polished.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Why would it take 10x longer to get the information if you can't see the guys face? Not getting it

Haha true. Microsoft could have chosen a way better situation. Even though the ad is really dumb, the feature of multitasking could be useful in other cases like using Safari and some messaging thing (Mail, Messages, etc) together. I'd like to drag stuff over, not copy/paste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.