Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stallion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Waveland, MS
Ok, so I'm a newly converted Mac guy. I've been on PC's since the early '90s. I know several ways to resize lots of images at once on the PC. I mainly used Photoshop, but I can't afford a license for the Mac, and I no longer have my PC, nor my copy of Photoshop. I also used Irfanview, but it's a win only program.

So, I need good suggestions. I like iPhoto, but I don't see anyway to save a bunch of my images to a different directory all at a different resolution than their originals.

I appriciate any help.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
I tried Downsize (its shareware, gonna set you back 19.95 to keep) It has a better integration with iphoto which was what I need. It will batch resize and place them into a seperate folder for you. The problem is it doesnt distinguish between vertical and horizontal shots...so every photo is resized and it resizes to a certain pixel rather than percentage.

http://www.stuntsoftware.com/software/Downsize/index.html

cemorris

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
in iPhoto select all photos you want to batch change. Go to in the share menu (I think that is the right menu) and choose export. You will be able to choose the size and directory where to put them all. I use it all the time, it is very easy.

Stallion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Waveland, MS
cemorris said:
in iPhoto select all photos you want to batch change. Go to in the share menu (I think that is the right menu) and choose export. You will be able to choose the size and directory where to put them all. I use it all the time, it is very easy.

Ah, now see this is what I was really hoping to see. A solution that I can do without going after any other programs. I'm glad to know iPhoto does it natively. I was suprised it didn't, but I couldn't find an option for it. I'll try this tonight. Thank you.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
cemorris said:

Thanks for the great tip...and to think I was trying to find a software solution for this simple task!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Automator can do this. I know it does a lot of batch operations....but check it out. Select a grouping of images you want to resize, then ctrl-click them, Automator, create new workflow. Once you're in there, there is an operation by Preview called "Crop Images" (also has Scale Images to preserve perspective, % of original) which allows you to scale that group down to whatever size you see fit ;)

Easiest free way to do it, assuming you have Tiger that is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.