Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Reset entire device about 3 weeks ago and since then battery life has been 3x worse. You can literally watch it trickle down. What would cause this? JB on 6.1.2 with an iPhone 5. Thanks.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
There are so many different reasons why this is happening. Impossible for anyone to determine the cause based on the info you posted. Lets start off with...when you say "reset the device" what exactly did you do? Also, post a link of your installed packages from Cydia. You can use AppInfo to generate a simple list of everything, email the list to yourself, and post it here. This should get the ball rolling. Hopefully its something obvious.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Reset entire device about 3 weeks ago and since then battery life has been 3x worse. You can literally watch it trickle down. What would cause this? JB on 6.1.2 with an iPhone 5. Thanks.

Since I updated Activator, I have been experiencing a very bad battery life also. I have already uninstalled version 1.8.1 and gone back to 1.7.4 but the battery life is still bad. I will have to spend some time this weekend to see what is causing it.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
There are so many different reasons why this is happening. Impossible for anyone to determine the cause based on the info you posted. Lets start off with...when you say "reset the device" what exactly did you do? Also, post a link of your installed packages from Cydia. You can use AppInfo to generate a simple list of everything, email the list to yourself, and post it here. This should get the ball rolling. Hopefully its something obvious.

I just did a "reset all." Here are the packages that are installed:

2x2 Folder Icons - 1.0-2
Activator - 1.7.4
AppInfo - 1.5
APR (/usr/lib) - 1.3.3-2
APT 0.6 Transitional - 1:0-23
APT 0.7 (apt-key) - 0.7.25.3-3
APT 0.7 HTTPS Method - 0.7.25.3-3
APT 0.7 Strict - 0.7.25.3-6
APT 0.7 Strict (lib) - 0.7.25.3-10p
Attachments+ for Mail - 1.3-5
ayecon - 1.3.5
ayecon (Other) - 1.3.5
ayecon (SpringBoard) - 1.3.5
ayeconaddon - 1.3.5
ayeconwallpaper - 1.3.2
Base Structure - 1-4
Berkeley DB - 4.6.21-4p
BigBoss Icon Set - 1.0
BMW Logos for Zeppelin - 4.4
Bourne-Again SHell - 4.0.17-13
bzip2 - 1.0.5-7
Core Utilities - 8.12-12p
Core Utilities (/bin) - 8.12-7p
cURL - 7.25.0-7p
Cydia Installer - 1.1.8
Cydia Translations - 1.1.0
Darwin Tools - 1-4
Debian Packager - 1.14.25-9
Debian Utilities - 3.3.3ubuntu1-1p
Diff Utilities - 2.8.1-6
evasi0n 6.0-6.1.2 Untether - 0.4-1
f.lux - 0.985
Find Utilities - 4.2.33-6
Five Icon Dock - 0.9.3381-1
Five Icon Switcher - 1.1-2
FolderEnhancer - 1.9.8.2-1
Gawk - 3.1.6-2p
GNU Privacy Guard - 1.4.8-4
gzip - 1.3.12-6
iCleaner - 6.3.3
IconSupport - 1.8.1-1
iKeywi - 1.4.1-5
iOS Firmware - 6.1.2
iPhone Firmware (/sbin) - 0-1
Jaku - 1.4.9.6
libfinder - 1.0-6
libhide - 2.3
libstatusbar - 0.9.6.1-6
libzip - 0.10
LZMA Utils - 4.32.7-4
Mobile Substrate - 0.9.4001
New Curses - 5.7-12
NO LSB - 1.0
NoNewsIsGoodNews - 1.0
OpenNotifier - 1.1.3
OpenSSL - 0.9.8k-9
PAM (Apple) - 32.1-3
PAM Modules - 36.1-4
pcre - 8.30-5p
pincrush - 0.9.2-1
PreferenceLoader - 2.2.1-1
Profile Directory - 0-2
readline - 6.0-7
Remove Background - 1.0-5
sandcastle - 0.0.4-1
SandCastle 2 - 2.2-1
shell-cmds - 118-6
Springtomize 2 - iOS 5 & 6 - 1.4.5-1
Springtomize2-Icons - 1.0-1
Springtomize2-Localizations - 1.0.1
symbolicate - 1.2.0-1
system-cmds - 433.4-12
Tape Archive - 1.19-8
UIKit Tools - 1.1.7
WinterBoard - 0.9.3911
Zeppelin - 1.1-1

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
OP, I think I have fixed my issues. If you have any Exchange or iCloud account setup, delete them all, delete the mail cache file (/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobilemail), do a network reset, and setup your mail accounts again. Let me know if this helped you.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
OP, I think I have fixed my issues. If you have any Exchange or iCloud account setup, delete them all, delete the mail cache file (/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobilemail), do a network reset, and setup your mail accounts again. Let me know if this helped you.

Will give this a shot....why do you think this helped you and what prompted it?

lucastatic

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013

There was an acknowledged iOS 6 bug exchange email bug where it would repeatedly, endlessly sync in the background, running people's batteries into the ground. Deleting the account and readding it fixed the issue at the time, but Apple has since pushed out an update. His suggestion was undoubtedly born from said bug, and from the fact that iOS (like any OS) handles a lot of stuff behind the scenes and sometimes it gets stuck in a loop or otherwise doesn't work as smoothly/efficiently as it should. Email is one of those things.

In regards to batteries and battery life, everyone's mileage will vary. Sometimes it's wise to enumerate all of the little things that might be knocking said battery down, going through and toggling off unnecessary features, resetting others, turning the device off and on again, etc. When you start to layer things like Cydia tweaks over the top, you have to be careful about that additional load. Play it smart and you will never have battery issues, barring faulty hardware.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

After a day of testing, I can confirm that doing this definitely fixed my issue. I googled and read an old thread about someone with a similar issue with their 3GS and doing this fixed it.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
After a day of testing, I can confirm that doing this definitely fixed my issue. I googled and read an old thread about someone with a similar issue with their 3GS and doing this fixed it.

did you delete the icloud account as well? I only use that for backup, no email.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I did but I only use my iCloud accounts for Notes and Find My iPhone.

Last question....did you delete the entire com.apple.mobilemail folder or the 3 files contained in the folder for mail cache? I see cache.db, cache.db-shm and cache.db-wal. There are also 3 other folders under the mail mobilemail folder....(com.apple.DictionaryServices, com.apple.opengl and MFData.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Last question....did you delete the entire com.apple.mobilemail folder or the 3 files contained in the folder for mail cache? I see cache.db, cache.db-shm and cache.db-wal. There are also 3 other folders under the mail mobilemail folder....(com.apple.DictionaryServices, com.apple.opengl and MFData.

The entire folder. It's just a cache folder and it will be recreated with those files again.

Beeray

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2011

I had this issue on my iPad mini. I actually did this and now my battery is fine. The usage and standby time was the same. This method worked for me.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Bummed but that didn't help it.....I turned Springtomize off as well....really strange....nothing is different about my device from a couple of months ago yet it's noticeably worse re: batt life.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Bummed but that didn't help it.....I turned Springtomize off as well....really strange....nothing is different about my device from a couple of months ago yet it's noticeably worse re: batt life.

Try using your device for few days without any email setup at all.

TNT93

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Northampton, UK
I just did a "reset all." Here are the packages that are installed....

If i'm not mistaken, you used the reset all button on the phone while jb? if so this could be the cause of the problem as you say it has happened since then. You should never use reset/erase all on a jb phone due to the way the jb works (moves system files around so reset/erase deletes things it shouldn't) normally it results in a boot loop that can only be fixed by restoring, so your pretty lucky it's only a bad battery :)

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
If i'm not mistaken, you used the reset all button on the phone while jb? if so this could be the cause of the problem as you say it has happened since then. You should never use reset/erase all on a jb phone due to the way the jb works (moves system files around so reset/erase deletes things it shouldn't) normally it results in a boot loop that can only be fixed by restoring, so your pretty lucky it's only a bad battery :)

Interesting...did not know that....everything works correctly and have had no issues booting up after a restart. I have been tempted to go back to stock but am fearful that battery life isn't THAT much better and I'd miss my must have tweaks.

TNT93

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Northampton, UK
Interesting...did not know that....everything works correctly and have had no issues booting up after a restart. I have been tempted to go back to stock but am fearful that battery life isn't THAT much better and I'd miss my must have tweaks.

yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll miss your tweaks more than the extra battery life that you may or may not get :)

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

Run iLex RAT and do the restore option. Keep your jailbreak and have a fresh phone. Works good I like it. If you try it revert to the stock font first if you aren't already using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.