Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 9, 2013, 08:07 PM   #1
feuxfollets
macrumors newbie

keyboard quality for gaming

How is the keyboard on this for gaming, SC2 in particular?

Having used a mechanical keyboard primarily at my desktop, I can't really stand the typical chiclet keys for gaming; I feel much slower on them.

Kind of on the fence about buying this, versus a Dell or something else with actual keys.
feuxfollets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 603

USB keyboard maybe?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3
jadam
macrumors 6502a

It's a good keyboard, but you have to get used to the FN key being where the Ctrl key normally is, takes a little getting used to the positioning. Key actuation is good though, better than most laptops I would say. I normally play with a mechanical keyboard as well(Coolermaster Quickfire Storm) I would also recommend playing with a mouse.

I made a video of SC2 on the MBA 2013 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFE15JvTCBA
Old Jul 9, 2013, 09:55 PM   #4
feuxfollets
macrumors newbie

carrying a mechanical keyboard around kind of defeats the purpose of getting a light laptop. as for the fn/ctrl thing i could just remap them, so that's not a problem, i'm more interested in the feeling of the keys. i have an envy 14 currently and hate playing sc2 on it's keyboard.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5
jadam
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuxfollets View Post
carrying a mechanical keyboard around kind of defeats the purpose of getting a light laptop. as for the fn/ctrl thing i could just remap them, so that's not a problem, i'm more interested in the feeling of the keys. i have an envy 14 currently and hate playing sc2 on it's keyboard.
I don't mean to imply you should carry around a mechanical keyboard, that's a bit excessive! I merely mentioned it as a point of reference since i use one as well on my desktop for sc2 gaming.

The keys feel great, however its such a subjective experience that you should honestly test one out yourself.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6
feuxfollets
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadam View Post
I don't mean to imply you should carry around a mechanical keyboard, that's a bit excessive! I merely mentioned it as a point of reference since i use one as well on my desktop for sc2 gaming.

The keys feel great, however its such a subjective experience that you should honestly test one out yourself.
sorry that was in response to the person before who said "usb keyboard"

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air