Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGBR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Hi there, I'm thinking about buying a Powerbook sometime in January (once my next student loan comes through and I have a bit more purchasing power!) but wanted to do a little background research first. I currently use Linux on a Dell laptop and use it mostly for programming and web stuff, I've heard a lot about Mac OS X being (sort of) UNIX based and having the familiar Terminal interface.
So, few quick questions:

- What kind of (preferably open source or freeware) development tools are there?

- Same as above but for 'classic' widely used languages such as C/C++, BASIC, Java etc

- Same again but low level and dirty, assembler type?

- My first desire would be to get a decent C compiler, is there a Mac version of gcc (or alternative)?

Also as a kind of side hobby I collect "antique" computers, Spectrums, Amigas etc that kind of thing. I've just won a Powerbook 520c on eBay (spec here) and it'd be nice to do a little programming on that as well. Bearing in mind its age and specs would it be possible to do any programming on that too (C being my langauge of choice but not limited to it)?

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
DaveGBR said:
- What kind of (preferably open source or freeware) development tools are there?
Yes, you can get pretty much all the development tools you want as Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD.
- Same as above but for 'classic' widely used languages such as C/C++, BASIC, Java etc
GCC and the usual toolchain is available. Many other tools can be installed using fink.
- Same again but low level and dirty, assembler type?
Dunno, I presume the unix tools work. Remember that MacOS X currently runs on PowerPC processors so the intel tools will be of limited use on current machines. Intel-based machines will be released next year.
- My first desire would be to get a decent C compiler, is there a Mac version of gcc (or alternative)?
Yes

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
DaveGBR said:

Yeah...gcc :)

I am sure you will find the XCode to be right up your alley. Combine that with Terminal/vi/Eclipse and you should have more than enough tools to code all kinds of great software.

Selivanov

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2005
Voronezh, Russia
DaveGBR said:
Fantastic, thanks for answering my questions :)
Hmm. MacOS X is not so *nix-like as it should be. For example, i try to compile Midnight Commander on my computer (MacOS X 10.4 Tiger). He (MC) said that he wants glib package. I try to compile glib package. It asks me for gettext library. And so on... At the end of that story i stuck on the gcc localization.
The most platform undepended thing in MacOS X is Java applications :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Selivanov said:
Hmm. MacOS X is not so *nix-like as it should be. For example, i try to compile Midnight Commander on my computer (MacOS X 10.4 Tiger). He (MC) said that he wants glib package. I try to compile glib package. It asks me for gettext library. And so on... At the end of that story i stuck on the gcc localization.
The most platform undepended thing in MacOS X is Java applications :)
You'd have the exact same problems on any other commercial unix. It's part of the unix credo of "do one thing well" that apps are often built using lots of other little libraries, which may not be standard on your distro. I remember running through similar hoops compiling GNU software on HP-UX and Solaris, that is until you get all of the GNU packages you want/need on there. ;)

As for midnight commander on OS X, why not just apt-get it using fink? http://fink.sourceforge.net/

B

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Selivanov said:
:)
This is the reason the Linux/FreeBSD guys spent ages getting decent package installers working. For example, rpm, apt-get, portage (Gentoo Linux), and the ports system on FreeBSD.

Mac OS X has three (to my knowledge) such systems - fink, darwinports and Gentoo Portage (the first two seem more developed).

Fink - http://fink.sourceforge.net/
DarwinPorts - http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
Portage for Mac OS X-http://www.metadistribution.org/macos/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.