Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 9, 2013, 09:40 PM   #1
me2013
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cactus Ville (Just Kidding, I live in Hogwarts.)
iPod Sixth Generation

I keep hearing all these rumors going around that Apple is going to make an iPod touch sixth generation. Now, sit down little kiddies, grandma has a story to tell. One day, I was getting out of my car and I dropped my iPod face down on a rock. And not just a little pebble. It was a pretty big rock. So now there is a big crack going through my screen and a whole bunch of little ones on the bottom right corner. My dad and I took it to an Apple store to see if it could be fixed, and it could be, but it would cost $100. So my parents and I talked about it, and we decided that, because the cracks aren't affecting the way my iPod works or anything, we would wait until the 6th generation came out, then upgrade my iPod to that! Just a tip for anyone in the same situation. If you have any comments about my story or any questions, don't be shy to ask!
me2013 is offline   0
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2013 View Post
I keep hearing all these rumors going around that Apple is going to make an iPod touch sixth generation. Now, sit down little kiddies, grandma has a story to tell. One day, I was getting out of my car and I dropped my iPod face down on a rock. And not just a little pebble. It was a pretty big rock. So now there is a big crack going through my screen and a whole bunch of little ones on the bottom right corner. My dad and I took it to an Apple store to see if it could be fixed, and it could be, but it would cost $100. So my parents and I talked about it, and we decided that, because the cracks aren't affecting the way my iPod works or anything, we would wait until the 6th generation came out, then upgrade my iPod to that! Just a tip for anyone in the same situation. If you have any comments about my story or any questions, don't be shy to ask!
The 6th gen will be out Sept/Oct 2014 and it sounds like you need a case to protect your Touch .
Plutonius is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2013, 03:17 AM   #3
cobbyco
macrumors 6502a
 
cobbyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
The 6th gen will be out Sept/Oct 2014 and it sounds like you need a case to protect your Touch .
Allow me to correct that for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
I don't actually know when the 6th gen will be out, but I'll take a guess at Sept/Oct 2014. Also, you need a case to protect your Touch .
Seriously, nobody knows when the 6th Gen will be out, but I'm gonna take an educated guess at September or October of this year. Apple wouldn't leave their top-end iPod touch model with a processor from 2011. If they did then by the time we reach 2014 the iPod touch would be 3 years behind.

OP, I reckon a new iPod touch will be out this year sometime in the Fall. Wait until then to either get the new one or get the 5th Gen for cheaper.
cobbyco is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyco View Post
Allow me to correct that for you:


Seriously, nobody knows when the 6th Gen will be out, but I'm gonna take an educated guess at September or October of this year. Apple wouldn't leave their top-end iPod touch model with a processor from 2011. If they did then by the time we reach 2014 the iPod touch would be 3 years behind.

OP, I reckon a new iPod touch will be out this year sometime in the Fall. Wait until then to either get the new one or get the 5th Gen for cheaper.
We will see but I'll post that I was wrong if I am . Will you post Sept/Oct this year that you were wrong if nothing comes out this fall ? OP, the 5th gen Touch runs great and I would pick one up now if you need one.
Plutonius is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyco View Post
OP, I reckon a new iPod touch will be out this year sometime in the Fall. Wait until then to either get the new one or get the 5th Gen for cheaper.
This has been discussed in at least 3 threads here, but I am with Plutonius in being quite certain that there will not be a refresh this year.
Ghostbusters is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
One of the threads where this has been discussed is this one.

But in short there is likely to be an iPod touch update later this year. The real question is will bit be so minor as to not matter whether you buy one now or wait. Or will it be big enough to be worth waiting. However, if I needed a new iPod touch for whatever reason, I would not hesitate in buying one - probably an Apple refurbished one.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
cobbyco
macrumors 6502a
 
cobbyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
We will see but I'll post that I was wrong if I am . Will you post Sept/Oct this year that you were wrong if nothing comes out this fall ?
I will give a full formal apology to you if I am wrong.

And while the 5th Gen runs great on iOS 6 and pretty good on iOS 7 (beta 3), on iOS 8 or later that could change. I doubt Apple want another situation like with the 4th Gen, whereby it was too under-powered and as a result ran iOS 6 sluggishly. I still reckon they will release an upgrade (32, 64 and possible 128GB, but not 16GB), even if the only change is the processor.
cobbyco is offline   0
Old Jul 10, 2013, 09:47 PM   #8
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
[MOD NOTE]
Please use one of the existing threads such as the one linked above for this discussion.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Fifth generation iPad or sixth generation Mini mrmarts iPad 9 Feb 4, 2013 10:39 PM
Which are the diferences between the 6th generation ipod nano and the 7th generation? Raafael23 iPod 8 Oct 22, 2012 07:36 AM
Reviews of the Fifth-Generation iPod Touch and Seventh-Generation iPod Nano MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 183 Oct 19, 2012 07:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC