Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At the 2013 D23 Expo (via InsideTheMagic), which is a Disney event held for fans, Steve Jobs and other "talented contributors to Disney history" will be honored with a Disney Legends award and a ceremony that will take place on Saturday, August 10 in the Anaheim Convention Center.

Disney Legends is a program that originally began 26 years ago and has awarded people like Muppets creator Jim Henson, actor Robin Williams, and a number of other visionaries in fields like animation and imagineering.

disney.jpg
"The Disney Legend Award is our highest and most coveted honor," said Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger. "It's reserved for the extraordinary visionaries and artists behind the Disney magic, the men and women who push the limits of innovation and creativity to ensure Disney remains truly special. The eight Legends we honor this year helped create some of our most beloved characters along with exciting new worlds and thrilling attractions. They also entertained millions of people and expanded our definition of what's possible. They are all indelible parts of our legacy, and we are proud to recognize them as true Disney Legends."
Steve Jobs is being recognized for his role at Apple, his "visionary attitude, and penchant for innovation." He is also being recognized for his contributions as an early investor and chief executive of Pixar, and his work on the Disney board of directors.

In addition to Jobs, seven other people will be recognized at the ceremony, including Dick Clark, Billy Crystal, and John Goodman, among others. Honorees will receive a two-foot-tall bronze Disney Legends sculpture that signifies the "imagination, creativity and magic they have brought to the company."

Article Link: Steve Jobs to Receive Disney Legends Award at 2013 D23 Expo

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love John Goodman.
I think the title should read "the late Steve Jobs" I mean ... he's still dead, right?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
A fitting award for Steve. It may be easy to overlook his work at Disney and Pixar (usually overshadowed by Apple) if you were not aware of how deeply he was involved at times. But for those who were aware of all he did for those companies, this award is a well deserved acknowledgement of that. :)

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
A fitting award for Steve. It may be easy to overlook his work at Disney and Pixar (usually overshadowed by Apple) if you were not aware of how deeply he was involved at times. But for those who were aware of all he did for those companies, this award is a well deserved acknowledgement of that. :)

I've heard from my prof working there in the early days that Steve just pumped money into Pixar but wasn't really involved. What do you guys think about this?

Either way, I'm glad the professionals are giving Steve credit he deserves when the Internet and analysts often give the impression the man was useless.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I've heard from my prof working there in the early days that Steve just pumped money into Pixar but wasn't really involved. What do you guys think about this?

Either way, I'm glad the professionals are giving Steve credit he deserves when the Internet and analysts often give the impression the man was useless.

To my knowledge he was at the very least moderately (if not further) involved in the majority of shorts and feature films being produced at Pixar. Commentaries or extra features on Pixar's DVDs often talk about Steve or reference his reaction or guidance in one way or another.

In Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve it also goes pretty in-depth to some of his early work at Pixar, especially around the time of the 1st Toy Story film, the development of A Bug's Life, and later on the difficult negotiations with Disney before Pixar was purchased by them around 2005/2006.

portraitFIASCO

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2013
steve jobs - steve jobs ?
or ashton kutcher - steve jobs ?
OR zombie steve jobs ?
ORRRRRR tupac hologram-steve jobs?

autrefois

macrumors 65816
I love John Goodman.
I think the title should read "the late Steve Jobs" I mean ... he's still dead, right?

It's true the MacRumors post is oddly worded. No indication is given that Jobs or any of the honorees are no longer with us. In particular:

In addition to Jobs, seven other people will be recognized at the ceremony, including Dick Clark, Billy Crystal, and John Goodman, among others. Honorees will receive a two-foot-tall bronze Disney Legends sculpture [...]"

Four out of the seven honorees are dead, so most of them will actually not be receiving a sculpture. But it is still interesting to hear that their work will be honored.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

As far as I know he was, in typical Jobs style, obsessed with Pixar. He invested almost everything he had to keep the place going to get it to the point where they made Toy Story and started making any money back.

cssbutton

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

At the 2013 D23 Expo (via InsideTheMagic), which is a Disney event held for fans, Steve Jobs and other "talented contributors to Disney history" will be honored with a Disney Legends award and a ceremony that will take place on Saturday, August 10 in the Anaheim Convention Center.

Disney Legends is a program that originally began 26 years ago and has awarded people like Muppets creator Jim Henson, actor Robin Williams, and a number of other visionaries in fields like animation and imagineering.

Steve Jobs is being recognized for his role at Apple, his "visionary attitude, and penchant for innovation." He is also being recognized for his contributions as an early investor and chief executive of Pixar, and his work on the Disney board of directors.

In addition to Jobs, seven other people will be recognized at the ceremony, including Dick Clark, Billy Crystal, and John Goodman, among others. Honorees will receive a two-foot-tall bronze Disney Legends sculpture that signifies the "imagination, creativity and magic they have brought to the company."

Article Link: Steve Jobs to Receive Disney Legends Award at 2013 D23 Expo

Steve Jobs is a real legend, he deserves the award. That is good of disney to honour him

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.