Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howirocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has heard of the ability to tag emails with colored labels or dots... Flags are not very customizable and most of the time they don't show up on my iPhone when I need them.

I'm trying to decide whether to switch to Gmail for all of my email needs. It's been really awesome labeling everything and keep my inbox tidy. If tagging is coming to Mail, I'll just wait for it.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Just wondering if anyone has heard of the ability to tag emails with colored labels or dots... Flags are not very customizable and most of the time they don't show up on my iPhone when I need them.

I'm trying to decide whether to switch to Gmail for all of my email needs. It's been really awesome labeling everything and keep my inbox tidy. If tagging is coming to Mail, I'll just wait for it.

You may want to take into consideration that Gmail no longer supports Push. This is the reason why I switched to Outlook.com for my personal e-mail.

howirocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Hmmm... Haven't noticed that about Gmail...

I just wish Apple would let us use labels like that. The search function is pretty bad on the iPhone. I feel like it would help greatly. Thanks.

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you want to use labels extensively take a look at the GMail app.

Apple Mail does not support labels like Google does them. Best they have is moving an email to a folder will assign that folder as a label...but that is it.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
You may want to take into consideration that Gmail no longer supports Push. This is the reason why I switched to Outlook.com for my personal e-mail.

not true. the gmail app supports push notifications, and if you'd like to use the standard Mail app, just set up Gmail as an exchange account (directions in Gmail Help), and you'll get push that way.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
not true. the gmail app supports push notifications, and if you'd like to use the standard Mail app, just set up Gmail as an exchange account (directions in Gmail Help), and you'll get push that way.

It doesn't work for me anymore when setting up Gmail as exchange account.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
restoring off a backup makes you lose it too?!?

I think it's associated with your device ID or something like that. So if Google recognizes the device as having been setup prior to January, you should be fine. But new phones, replacements, etc. would be out of luck.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I think it's associated with your device ID or something like that. So if Google recognizes the device as having been setup prior to January, you should be fine. But new phones, replacements, etc. would be out of luck.

i guess they're trying to push us all over to the gmail app.

(sorry. had to.)

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
i guess they're trying to push us all over to the gmail app.

(sorry. had to.)

ZING! Haha, I actually quite like the Gmail app, but the lack of default apps in iOS and background refresh really kill it for me.

I keep it on my phone for search only, since it's much easier and quicker than the default mail app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.