Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_13_20121.jpg
Apple is planning to expand its adoption of IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) displays to reduce the energy consumption of its mobile devices, reports etnews.comhttp://english.etnews.com/electronics/2796742_1303.html (via Patently Apple).
According to industry insiders, having decided to apply the IGZO method to displays for MacBook, Apple is talking with LCD panel manufacturers, such as Sharp and LG Display.
IGZO is a semiconducting material that has forty times more electron mobility than the standard amorphous silicon that is used as the active layer of an LCD screen, allowing for higher resolution displays, better reaction times, and less power consumption.

The report suggests that in addition to expanding to IGZO displays for the MacBook, Apple is also planning to use them in the iPad. Apple is said to be relying on Sharp for the displays, and last year news surfaced that Sharp had already begun mass production of IGZO displays that could be used in future Apple products.

The site expects IGZO MacBooks to appear in the first half of 2014, but does not note when an IGZO iPad might make an appearance. Apple is expected to release a new, thinner fifth generation iPad later this year.

(Thanks, MobilesPie!)

Article Link: Apple to Adopt IGZO Displays for Future iPads and MacBooks?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
That would be a step towards better battery life than the competition, for sure. I think we'd all like to see better battery life out of these machines. Personally the only iDevice that has unacceptable battery life to me at this point is the iPhone.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
I'm only slightly familiar with IGZO displays. Is there any loss of quality compared to the displays that apple is currently using?

It is my understanding that the quality would be the same and the IGZO difference is really the power distribution. Is this correct?

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
I wish I were smart enough to invent a much longer lasting and smaller battery. It would go great with technology like this!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
iPad 5 for sure - the only way to put retina in a device as thin as the iPad Mini. IGZO iPad Mini to come...

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
When computers and tablets (and phones!) last all day, people will still complain... "I want my iPad to last 2 or 3 days on a charge!" etc.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Awesome! No MBP Retina till 2014?

Haha, I imagine that would make a lot of people angry. But certainly wouldn't be surprising. It's the best computer Apple have ever made and they admitted it themselves (not sure where the new Mac Pro fits into the quote though.) It makes sense that they'd want to wait and make sure they were releasing a perfect product.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Hmmm...

My iPad already last 3 days or so, on one charge.

It's my iPhone (4S) that can barely get through 6 hours...

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
This will be incredible if they reach MacBooks. It's amazing how far battery life has come even in the past decade, when 3-4 hours was 'good'!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
...It's the best computer Apple have ever made and they admitted it themselves (not sure where the new Mac Pro fits into the quote though.) It makes sense that they'd want to wait and make sure they were releasing a perfect product.
Apple Rev. A products are never “perfect”. You should know that.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
This is one update that can't come quickly enough! Great tech, and it will be brilliant to see it in Apple Tech.

I hope it's adopted across all Apple devices, subject to there being sufficient supply to meet demand. The only addition I'm hoping for now is eInk keyboards.

hardwickj

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
I'm only slightly familiar with IGZO displays. Is there any loss of quality compared to the displays that apple is currently using?

It is my understanding that the quality would be the same and the IGZO difference is really the power distribution. Is this correct?

No, it actually allows for an increase in quality. IGZO is generally capable of higher pixel densities (not that Apple will be increasing that anytime soon on their Retina screens, though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.