Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
So I have a couple DVD sets I want to batch rip with commentary tracks and subtitles preserved as well. I rip my dvd's with Make MKV and then select the folder with Handbrake. I'll set a CQ of 19 (usually), and select the audio track as well as the commentary track, and the english subtitle as well. I'll select " add all to queue", but the resulting encodes usually only end up with the first one being correct; the others don't have the extra audio track or subtitle, and go down to 640x480 vs 720x480 for the first one. Anyone know what I'm not doing correctly?

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
So I have a couple DVD sets I want to batch rip with commentary tracks and subtitles preserved as well. I rip my dvd's with Make MKV and then select the folder with Handbrake. I'll set a CQ of 19 (usually), and select the audio track as well as the commentary track, and the english subtitle as well. I'll select " add all to queue", but the resulting encodes usually only end up with the first one being correct; the others don't have the extra audio track or subtitle, and go down to 640x480 vs 720x480 for the first one. Anyone know what I'm not doing correctly?

Sounds like your only applying the settings to the first title and assuming all will be the same for the subsequent titles? Apply your settings each time.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA

Which version of HandBrake are you running? When I tried "add all to Queue" with the current Windows version (0.9.9), I got a warning pop-up telling me that the feature won't work if you need something other than the default selections for audio and subtitle tracks. (The tracks are reset with each title.) I also don't think you can save the track selections in a preset, so it looks like you are stuck reselecting them for each title. The only hope would be if you can change the preferences for automatic track selection to accomplish what you want. For example, select all audio/subtitle tracks in selected language might work for you.

Otherwise, I think the easiest method is to continue to use "add folder", but not "add all to queue". The first file in the folder will be selected initially, and you get a menu which allows you to easily select each additional title. Apply your preset and track selections to the first title and add it to the queue. Then select the next title from the drop-down menu. The options from the preset will stick, but you will need to redo the track selections before adding it to the queue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.