Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pajamaboi111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about trying Guild Wars 2 since it now has an OS X client, and I was wondering if my computer could actually run it. I don't mind being on the lowest possible settings as long as gameplay is still smooth.
I have the 15 inch MBP early 2011 model.
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M
OS X 10.8.4

Chub

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
My guess would be that it should run just as well under OSX as it should under Windows. You probably couldn't max the game out but I would imagine that you could play it, maybe on lower settings.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
My guess would be that it should run just as well under OSX as it should under Windows.

That's not true for 99.9% of games that are ported from Windows, at least for titles released in the last 2-3 years. GW2 will likely be no different. Feral and Aspyr, the two big OS X porting firms (though not the ones who did GW2), do the best they can, but there are limitations that simply cannot be worked around, at least with OS X in its current state.

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about trying Guild Wars 2 since it now has an OS X client, and I was wondering if my computer could actually run it. I don't mind being on the lowest possible settings as long as gameplay is still smooth.
I have the 15 inch MBP early 2011 model.
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M
OS X 10.8.4

The Radeon 6490M is going to hold you back quite a bit, but it should at least be playable at low settings. You could try 1440x900 resolution (which I assume is native for your machine), but you might have to drop that to 1280x800.

GammaRayToaster

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Germany
short answer: yes on native resolution, but with very low details
I have a 2011 15 inch MBP with 6750m that runs GW2 with medium details at ~30fps.
GW2 performance is way worse on OS X, because it's not a real port to OS X but only a wrapper.
You could have a much better experience with a Bootcamp installation, sadly.

pajamaboi111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Okay, I don't have access to my Windows CD for another month (I'm on vacation essentially), so I was just wondering if it would at least be playable on the lowest possible settings so I could get it now. Then when I got my Windows CD I could go ahead and use Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.