Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
A colleague of mine has 2 PowerBooks that he wants to back up. He was thinking of getting an external firewire HD that would have automated 'one touch' features like the Maxtor.

When he does eventually buy one, can it be used on 2 Macs? I was thinking he would have to partition the drive into 2 volumes and install the backup software on each partition.... Am I going down the right path here? Is there anyone else in this position that has a solution? He is not that computer savvy - the simpler the solution the better.

aussie_geek

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
aussie_geek said:
A colleague of mine has 2 PowerBooks that he wants to back up. He was thinking of getting an external firewire HD that would have automated 'one touch' features like the Maxtor.

When he does eventually buy one, can it be used on 2 Macs? I was thinking he would have to partition the drive into 2 volumes and install the backup software on each partition.... Am I going down the right path here? Is there anyone else in this position that has a solution? He is not that computer savvy - the simpler the solution the better.

aussie_geek
If you get a drive from OWC you can get some free backup software with it, Dantz Retrospect. Then all you need to do is put two folders on the drive. Then you could hook the drive to one Mac, turn on file sharing, then both computer can backup to the drive attached to the one Mac. This is a good idea if your friend has a desktop and laptop, with hooking the drive up to the desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.