Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

IFTTT Launches iPhone App for Automating Photo, Contact, and Reminder 'Recipes'

Popular web service If This Then That (IFTTT) today launched an iPhone app, bringing the popular service to mobile devices. The service allows users to customize their web services using a set of rules within the parameters of "if this, then that."

For example, a user can arrange for a photo taken with their iPhone to be automatically uploaded to their Flickr account or the service can be set up so the user is texted the weather report each morning in addition to whatever other "recipes" users can cook up.

The app currently allows interactivity with the iPhone's photos, contacts and reminders, but IFTTT says that "this is only the beginning", hinting that more features taking advantage of the hardware are likely to make their way into the app in the future.

IFTTT for iPhone is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: IFTTT Launches iPhone App for Automating Photo, Contact, and Reminder 'Recipes'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:22 AM   #2
StevenB14
macrumors regular

Love IFTTT. Can't wait to see where they take this on the iPhone. I imagine more channels will appear after iOS 7 is released.
StevenB14 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB14 View Post
Love IFTTT. Can't wait to see where they take this on the iPhone. I imagine more channels will appear after iOS 7 is released.
Love it as well. I use it for my lights to alert me if it will rain Haha.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

Based in San Francisco, which means subject to US law. No thanks. Maybe if it was based in Switzerland.
PBG4 Dude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
jm001
macrumors 6502

My Pebble thanks you IFTTT!
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
jfx94
macrumors regular

Sounds a lot like Automator from 10.4 but for the iPhone.
jfx94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
techpr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post
Based in San Francisco, which means subject to US law. No thanks. Maybe if it was based in Switzerland.
This forum based in Virginia, which means subject to US law. Why post here?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
tirk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpr View Post
This forum based in Virginia, which means subject to US law. Why post here?

Posting on a forum does not require access rights to classes of my data. Given that your government deems it fine to spy on me, as a non-US citizen, I'm going to be careful what data I allow onto US servers.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:35 AM   #9
jent
macrumors 6502a

Will this allow IFTTT to tap into Location Services? I'd personally love it if I could set up IFTTT recipes to, say, text a family member when I arrive at a certain location, or send a tweet when I land in a new country. It would have been impossible (well, clunky at best) to do this through the web interface alone, so I hope the iOS app enhances IFTTT's triggers and actions alike.
jent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:37 AM   #10
jrow470
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirk View Post

Posting on a forum does not require access rights to classes of my data. Given that your government deems it fine to spy on me, as a non-US citizen, I'm going to be careful what data I allow onto US servers.
First of all... the US government can "spy" on you wherever you are.

Secondly: What are you REALLY so worried about them seeing even IF they were. I don't think they care about the pictures of your cats.

Third: Most of the internet services you probably use everyday are based in the US. ie. Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote, Instagram, GMail. I'm pretty sure every, if not most, of the services IFTTT integrates with are located in the states.
jrow470 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:45 AM   #11
SirithX
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrow470 View Post
First of all... the US government can "spy" on you wherever you are.

Secondly: What are you REALLY so worried about them seeing even IF they were. I don't think they care about the pictures of your cats.

Third: Most of the internet services you probably use everyday are based in the US. ie. Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, Evernote, Instagram, GMail. I'm pretty sure every, if not most, of the services IFTTT integrates with are located in the states.
Not to mention every first world country does it anyway, weather it's been "confirmed" or not. UK, France, etc... People have known about FISA and the Patriot Act for years but only now outraged? But anyway we really shouldn't get off on a political tangent here.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
seamer
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I have a feeling you're not quite sure how tcp/ip and udp work...
seamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:55 PM   #13
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:

::facepalm::
ignorantia est beatitudinis
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:36 PM   #14
dasx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrow470 View Post
I guess it's a matter of principle.
dasx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
Time Less
macrumors regular

leaving background on keeps location service running. i think it was draining my battery so i turned it off.
Time Less is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion