Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

Theme: Square Composition. I'm looking for either squares in the composition or an image in an actual squared format, as in cropped square or shot naturally on square format. (And of course the square format accentuates the photo)

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
A square on its side!

IMG_0316.jpeg

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Not one of my newest images, but was shot on 6X6 Holga GCFN, Ilford HP5+ 400 120 film. Hand printed in darkroom and then scanned.

4287806853_13e3461ba8_z.jpg
[/url]
img003 by simbojono, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
St David's Cathedral's ceiling, St David's, Wales. Founded by the Welsh patron Saint and the focal point of the UK's smallest city.
[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7390/9274340185_a21d2caa02.jpg]Image[/url]
St David's Cathedral Ceiling by rosshmadden, on Flickr

*Edit* Not sure why the image isn't showing, but the link still worked to flickr.

You did not link the photograph itself, your link is to the page that shows the photograph.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7390/9274340185_316eb3a39d_c.jpg is the actual URL you need to use.

rossmadden

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2011
Swansea, UK
You did not link the photograph itself, your link is to the page that shows the photograph.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7390/9274340185_316eb3a39d_c.jpg is the actual URL you need to use.

I used Flickr's BBcode from the share link. I've used it a few times for these boards but this time it isn't working. Or at least it did work for a while then it stopped.

***EDIT AGAIN*** used your link and it worked, thank you very much. Not sure why the link I first used stopped. Could it be because I made two extra changes in Aperture, which re-synced with flickr, hence the "_c" at the end of the URL? The third iteration of the image?

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Took this at Dunkin' Donuts in Dubai.
More like this on my instagram @SagarChablani :)

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 181

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
OK, the contest is closed at this point. The submissions look great. I won't be able to get to the judging until after work this evening so stand by for the results.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
OK. Here we go. I have to try to be brief because somehow I didn't get enough hours in the day today. 24 seems to be the limit.

pmxperience I like the subject matter and extra points for squares being a main part of the composition as well as a square format also working well with the photo. The one thing I can't get past is that it's slightly off center and leaning to the right at the top.

LongSticks Very cool subject and idea for a photo. I wonder if it ever gets any different lighting in the space or what it's like at night.

salacious Interesting leading lines type photo but I really see more rectangles than squares.

sim667 I enjoyed this one. The square format works well and my mind is lead down the alley way. The snow really helps add interest. I like the Holga images when they are done well and this one is. Been tempted to get one for a while.

firedept Cool subject. Looks like this was a mobile grab or maybe a really tight crop? The colors are nice when it is small but the IQ is pretty bad when you look at it full size. +1 for squares inside of triangles though.

deep diver Nicely executed shot. Plenty of squares.

jabbot Nicely done. The square format works well with this landscape and it's nicely composed. I like the light on the cliff face of the mountain. I know you couldn't really control it but the trees in the foreground detract a little from the main subject for me. I wonder what the image was like from the waters edge?

dmax35 I like the composition but we really aren't hitting the theme of squares with this one. I'm ok with HDR but for me (my opinion only) this one is pushed a little far.

someoldguy Very cool building. Nice perspective in the photo too. With the background blasted out so much I'd like to see some early morning or late evening or even night shots so that the building really stands out.

cambookpro Neat idea. I think square crops work well for closeups and small prints. Focusing on the bubbles is a good idea too.

Nuer0genesis There are several things I like here. The square format works. The break in the trees carry your eyes deep into the photo. The layers of mountains in the background are nice and it's even cool that the branch in the center tree kind of mimics the clouds behind it.

ijohn.8.80 Nicely executed shot and on theme. I can appreciate it but it doesn't really draw me in for repeat looks.

rosmadden I think the color and tone are wonderful. Nice approach to the theme. I think either there was not enough DOF here or like me you have a lens that is kinda soft out on the edges when zoomed in. The diamond shaped things (whatever they should be called) not being in focus is a distraction.

MacCruisKeen The square format doesn't work with the composition of the image on this one for me. I like the choice of black and white though.

Apple fanboy That rubiks cube is more my speed. It's interesting because I haven't figured out exactly how you shot this. Is it resting on something? Looks like maybe two images combined into one piece?

Schtumple I like the muted tone and feel of the photo. I think it works well with the subject which seems to be the entire room. I like the square format here because a wide shot would show too much of the room to me.

acearchie The light is wonderful. The models stare into the camera is great. The composition of everything in the room works really well with the square format to me. My one criticism is the dust on the print. I'm assuming that this is one from your film camera. Normally that "acearchie" feel to a picture is very intriguing. For whatever reason in this one I'm distracted by the spots around the models face and hair.

fireman32 There's a square in there...but it's a mess. Maybe a wider composition for more context?

sagar4995 I like the format for this shot. I do like the isolated color in a B&W (I think there's a name for this?) I can't explain it but the placement of the colored donuts in the bottom left doesn't work for me. My eye keeps going to where the choco frosted ones are.

And on to the winners....

3rd place acearchie

2nd place Schtumple

1st place sim667 - This is the one I kept coming back to. It held my interest the longest. The not perfect aspects of the image came together to make it an interesting photo for me.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
JDDavis, thanks for the great comments to everyone. Congrat's to the winners. Some really nice shots amongst the entries this week.

ijohn.8.80 Nicely executed shot and on theme. I can appreciate it but it doesn't really draw me in for repeat looks.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, it didn't do that much for me either. While I was wandering around the city last Saturday, I kept a look out for squares and these were the only ones I came across, where I went. I was stuck in a literal frame of squareness I suppose, I didn't think of framing something within a square crop, that would have opened up so many other things! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.