rsync 10x slower than ditto - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
rsync 10x slower than ditto

I use rsync to do some LAN backups and noticed that it was taking a LONG time on relatively large files (disk images for virtual machines).

Measuring the network bandwidth with iftop or Activity monitor I was able to see only 3MBps transfer rate using rsync and 30-50MBps when using something like 'ditto -rsrc' to transfer files to an AFP volume.

Any ideas?

EXTRA
I've already tried various flags like --inplace. I usually use the '-avec --sparse --delete --force' but I've tried a variety of flags (like taking off c to see if the checksum was the problem). I've never seen more than ~3MBps over hard wired gigabit ethernet.
jared_kipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking