Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
I've been doing a lot of experimenting in Photoshop with Dropbox to find the minimum required dimensions for iOS 7 to recognize an image as panoramic and place it in that album!
I've been trying for days to find how to get panoramic pictures to go to the panorama album in iOS. Some work, some don't. So I've been testing image sizes in Photoshop to find that perfect dimension!

So, the way it is looking, if you crop any jpeg (haven't tried other formats) photos to the following dimensions, you can most likely use it for panorama wallpaper! The minimum height dimensions are lower than screen height, so for the height, I used the screen size. The only drawback to this is that you don't get to pan up/down, which I think is a cool feature that sets iOS 7 apart from Android.

Also something to note, it appears as though the aspect ratio for these seem to stay around a ~3:1 proportion. I haven't yet tried enlarging the below dimensions proportionately, but I am pretty sure if you did, that would work also. a full panorama shot by iOS is about 3.09:1 whereas the minimum dimensions I found were about 2.67:1. So as long as your aspect ratios stay in that range, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

SO, the moment you've all been waiting for, these are good, working dimensions for both iPhone 4/4s/5:

6000x2000px

If you only want the minimum height to prevent you from being able to pan vertically, the below minimum dimensions should work fine:

iPhone 4/4s - 2647x960

iPhone 5 - Still researching the minimums for this. But the 6000x2000 works great if you want to pan left right up and down.

Please comment with any similar findings you have found! :D

P.S.
For those not yet familiar with the process, panoramic images (adhering to the above dimension range) that you put in your camera roll, "should" auto add themselves to the Panorama album from which you can go into Settings/Wallpaper/Panorama album and select a panorama as your wallpaper, which iOS will use parallax to let you pan around the image with your movements.

P.P.S.
The way I resized my images were I resized them in Photoshop (constraining proportions) so both width and height were at least the above desired dimensions.
Then I made a new, blank document exactly 6000x2000px with 128 resolution.
I then selected the original image, Copy, and Paste it into the new blank document. From there you can use the arrow to drag it around to your desired design. This way you don't warp the image's proportions at all.

Last edited:

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Is the type always black when you use any panorama? That was the impression I got even when I used dark pictures, although I haven't tried it in a while.

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
No, iOS samples the light/dark of the photo in some way, and determines what text color to use. However in my trials, I've noticed more often than not, the text is white. This is the same with any wallpaper, even not panoramas.

In order for the text to turn black, the photo needs to have lots of WHITE in it. bright, non-white colors don't usually cut it.

But in answer to your question, the text should change between white and black depending on the wallpaper you choose. This goes for both the lock screen and homescreen. I've even noticed slight variations in black too, such as a charcoal color text in some cases.

If you are using dark images, and it's not using white font, I'd recommend doing a hard restart of the phone: hold down lock and home buttons until it shuts off, and the white apple logo appears, then release.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I've been doing a lot of experimenting in Photoshop with Dropbox to find the minimum required dimensions for iOS 7 to recognize an image as panoramic and place it in that album!
I've been trying for days to find how to get panoramic pictures to go to the panorama album in iOS. Some work, some don't. So I've been testing image sizes in Photoshop to find that perfect dimension!

So, the way it is looking, if you crop any jpeg (haven't tried other formats) photos to the following dimensions, you can most likely use it for panorama wallpaper! The minimum height dimensions are lower than screen height, so for the height, I used the screen size.

Also something to note, it appears as though the aspect ratio for these seem to stay around a ~3:1 proportion. I haven't yet tried enlarging the below dimensions proportionately, but I am pretty sure if you did, that would work also. a full panorama shot by iOS is about 3.09:1 whereas the minimum dimensions I found were about 2.67:1. So as long as your aspect ratios stay in that range, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Minimum panorama dimension--

iPhone 4/4S - 2647x960

iPhone 5 - 3125x1136

Please comment with any similar findings you have found! :D

P.S.
For those not yet familiar with the process, panoramic images (adhering to the above dimension range) that you put in your camera roll, "should" auto add themselves to the Panorama album from which you can go into Settings/Wallpaper/Panorama album and select a panorama as your wallpaper, which iOS will use parallax to let you pan around the image with your movements.

is this 3125 pixels width x 1136 pixels height ?

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
is this 3125 pixels width x 1136 pixels height ?

Correct, however I've gotten a report from an iPhone 5 user that that dimension height isn't high enough. I'm working with him to find the best height that doesn't leave black bars at the top/bottom.

I'll update the original post once I get those correct dimensions.

I have an iphone 4s so I wasn't able to test that one yet.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Correct, however I've gotten a report from an iPhone 5 user that that dimension height isn't high enough. I'm working with him to find the best height that doesn't leave black bars at the top/bottom.

I'll update the original post once I get those correct dimensions.

I have an iphone 4s so I wasn't able to test that one yet.

cheers, i have a good pic that i'd quite like to do this.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Thanks! Good luck!
I updated the original post with better dimensions.

Of course feel free to play around with them!

have u got email and i can send u one to try resize ? ? pm me if you can ? i used paint and its horrid

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
could u post an example so i can try? that would be great :eek:

Sure!
Here are a couple using the 6000x2000 dimensions.

Let me know what you think! Feel free to PM me if you have any you want trimmed if you don't have a program that can do it.
:cool:

Attachments

• tron.jpg
    tron.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 1,798
  • beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23,301

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
Strange, the "My Panoramas" folder doesn't pick them up right away. I synced the example photo of the beach below and saw it in my photo stream 5 minutes before it finally showed up in my Panoramas. Also, I synced with iPhoto during that time so that might have done it as well. But 5 mins later it showed up in the panorama folder and works fine now.

robertpetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
St Augustine, FL
6000 seems to be too wide. When moving, the parallax effect ends just as I get to the palm tree on the left side and before the two distant mountains in the background on the right but after the boat. Is yours doing the same?

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
6000 seems to be too wide. When moving, the parallax effect ends just as I get to the palm tree on the left side and before the two distant mountains in the background on the right but after the boat. Is yours doing the same?

Yeah, I noticed that even with the minimums, parallax won't pan the entire image. If you make it less wide beyond the minimum though, iOS won't pick it up as a panorama. :confused:

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
the dimensions on the 5 are 10800 x 2332. Thats roughly 4.6 to 1. Ive cropped as little as 3.45 to 1 with good results.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
take a panoramic photo on your ipad (can it do that?). Then send that photo to a pc or mac and look at dimensions under info.

My iPad 3 doesn't have the PANO option in the camera that my iPod Touch 5 does. I'll have to experiment and see what I can figure out about the existing "Dynamic" wallpaper options.

FWIW, I grabbed an iPhone 5 pano photo from a magazine review and saved it on my iPad 3. It didn't show up in the "Dynamic" wallpaper choices, but it was in the Photo Roll uner the label Panoramas, and it was dynamic when I set it as a wallpaper and moved the iPad.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I downloaded some panoramas from the web and put them in DropBox. I saved them from there to my phone. They saved to the camera roll and also showed up in the panoramic folder as well.

However, when set as a panoramic, they do pan but not all the way. There seems to be some cut off. I don't know why. Can't explain it.

The dimensions of the panoramas are - 4200x1363

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
I downloaded some panoramas from the web and put them in DropBox. I saved them from there to my phone. They saved to the camera roll and also showed up in the panoramic folder as well.

However, when set as a panoramic, they do pan but not all the way. There seems to be some cut off. I don't know why. Can't explain it.

The dimensions of the panoramas are - 4200x1363

Yeah I've been noticing the same thing. Not sure if it's a bug, or just the way it is. I have a friend with an iPhone 5 said that the 6000x2000 pans all the way, but not on my 4S. But if you crop the photo and less, iOS won't recognize it as a panorama. :confused:

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
I just downloaded my custom (2647x960) panorama via dropbox. Every time I tap "set as panorama" settings application crashes..

Nin3teen

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Central Florida
I just downloaded my custom (2647x960) panorama via dropbox. Every time I tap "set as panorama" settings application crashes..

How are you setting it as wallpaper? Does it show up in the "Panorama" album in your photos?

I do know that this task crashes the app a lot if you do it more than once. If it's doing it for you all the time, I'd try 1) Force closing the photo/settings app from the multitasked, and/or 2) doing a hard restart on the phone itself.

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
How are you setting it as wallpaper? Does it show up in the "Panorama" album in your photos?

I do know that this task crashes the app a lot if you do it more than once. If it's doing it for you all the time, I'd try 1) Force closing the photo/settings app from the multitasked, and/or 2) doing a hard restart on the phone itself.

Of course it appears in the Panorama album but it happens only with downloaded pictures. If I try to set a panorama pic taken with the phone settings application does not crash..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.