Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AirPort Utility for Mac and iOS Updated with Bug Fix

Both the Mac and iOS versions of AirPort Utility have received an update today, fixing an issue that caused some AirPort Base Stations not to be recognized by the apps.

The bug fix follows last month's AirPort Utility update that added support for Apple's new AirPort Extreme Base Station and Time Capsule, both of which support the faster 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

The OS X update for AirPort Utility can be downloaded via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store and the iOS version can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: AirPort Utility for Mac and iOS Updated with Bug Fix
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
wsc9005
macrumors regular

I Wish there was a new firmware to address 5GHz issues on older Extremes.
wsc9005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:07 PM   #3
dyrer
macrumors member

There is also an update for Mavericks Recovery Update 1.0
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
donutbagel
Banned

How about bringing back all the features of the old one? Whose bright idea was it to remove the "advanced" tab totally and not even let you use all of your AirPorts' features?
donutbagel is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Does OS X still artificially limit 802.11ac file transfer speeds over local networks?
unobtainium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
designgeek
macrumors 65816

Haha I'm still using the old version with all the nice settings, not this modern crap that gives me no control over my devices.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
SusanK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designgeek View Post
Haha I'm still using the old version with all the nice settings, not this modern crap that gives me no control over my devices.

I'm using my antique AE too
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
fixing an issue that caused some AirPort Base Stations not to be recognized by the apps.
I'm surprised I've never heard of this bug before, the Airport utility/Airport Extreme has always been solid for me. Then again most of my troubleshooting with it had more to do with "How do I enable X" than "why isn't X working".

Oh well, bug fixes are bug fixes.
Parasprite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:08 PM   #9
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Does this update also address the issues with the new MacBook Airs timing out?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:42 PM   #10
MacDownunder
macrumors newbie

Mine did it too

My 2009 iMac running 10.8.4 exhibited the missing base stations using APU 6.3, however our MBP 2008 running same OS didn't.

Searching inline found a solution that involves setting IPv6 to "Local Link only" this fixed it for me.

Having said that have downloaded the new version hope it still works

Last edited by MacDownunder; Jul 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: emoticons wernt embedded correctly
MacDownunder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:17 PM   #11
davidlv
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDownunder View Post
My 2009 iMac running 10.8.4 exhibited the missing base stations using APU 6.3, however our MBP 2008 running same OS didn't.

Searching inline found a solution that involves setting IPv6 to "Local Link only" this fixed it for me.

Having said that have downloaded the new version hope it still works
Had the same issue, setting IPv6 to anything but "off" solved it.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:17 AM   #12
X5-599
macrumors member

It would be great if they added an option to see (log) the amount of monthly internet traffic.
X5-599 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Maybe this was for more complex setups?

I know I recently had to set up a wireless network at a convention center for a show, and we strung multiple Airport Extremes (5th. generation models) around the place as "extenders" to the primary unit, to get enough signal coverage.

I had some issues with the iOS utility not detecting all of them properly in that arrangement.... Generally, the units with ethernet cables wired between them would show up fine, but wireless extenders were hit and miss.

I think I wound up using the utility on my Macbook Pro to get one of them configured when the iOS one on my phone just refused to see it. (After it was set up, I think it finally appears in the iOS utility though.)

Anyway, I completely agree that Apple taking away advanced features stinks.... I believe the new ac routers don't even let you configure SNMP on them anymore.
kingtj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 02:12 PM   #14
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
I know I recently had to set up a wireless network at a convention center for a show, and we strung multiple Airport Extremes (5th. generation models) around the place as "extenders" to the primary unit, to get enough signal coverage.

I had some issues with the iOS utility not detecting all of them properly in that arrangement.... Generally, the units with ethernet cables wired between them would show up fine, but wireless extenders were hit and miss.

I think I wound up using the utility on my Macbook Pro to get one of them configured when the iOS one on my phone just refused to see it. (After it was set up, I think it finally appears in the iOS utility though.)

Anyway, I completely agree that Apple taking away advanced features stinks.... I believe the new ac routers don't even let you configure SNMP on them anymore.
Had a similar issue extending just the 5GHz channel from a new Airport Extreme ac to last generations placed in our other media room. Running 10.9 as a developer on my Mac Pro cut any use of Airport Utility 5.6 (which I dragged and dropped into 10.8 and ran well). I tried the new OS X utility, frustrated I resorted to running ver. 5.6 on my HTPC Mac Mini which remedied any errors.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't include an "Advanced" section; keep the app simple for general users while allowing advanced users improved control and settings (esp. important to the enterprise sect). Simple.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 03:41 PM   #15
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbagel View Post
How about bringing back all the features of the old one? Whose bright idea was it to remove the "advanced" tab totally and not even let you use all of your AirPorts' features?
You can still use the older software on the older hardware

I figure this may be the last Airport router I buy. They don't have much of a feture set any more. Not worth the price. It's really dumb of Apple to remove software based features that don't add to the manufacturing cost.
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:04 PM   #16
HenryAZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
I believe the new ac routers don't even let you configure SNMP on them anymore.
SNMP, and syslog, and time server syncing, are all missing from Airport Utility 6.x. At least with the prior base stations, you can still use AU 5.6.x and configure these items. The new AC base stations are only configurable with AU 6.3.x. SNMP might still be there, but you cannot configure it anymore.
HenryAZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:43 AM   #17
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAZ View Post
SNMP, and syslog, and time server syncing, are all missing from Airport Utility 6.x. At least with the prior base stations, you can still use AU 5.6.x and configure these items. The new AC base stations are only configurable with AU 6.3.x. SNMP might still be there, but you cannot configure it anymore.
It's a shame as I copied version 5.6 into Lion as it ran on 10.7 and 10.8 (cannot install it on 10.8 or 10.9). 10.9 won't even run the copied app. Tried running it with plists and other modifications, it is somehow code dependent (similar to Rosetta based apps in 10.7+).
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:20 PM   #18
HenryAZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
It's a shame as I copied version 5.6 into Lion as it ran on 10.7 and 10.8 (cannot install it on 10.8 or 10.9). 10.9 won't even run the copied app. Tried running it with plists and other modifications, it is somehow code dependent (similar to Rosetta based apps in 10.7+).
Have you tried 5.6.1 (the Snow Leopard version)? I have that running on 10.8.4. It won't install, but you can copy the app from a Snow Leopard install, or extract it from the install package. In either case, just rename it so it doesn't collide with the current version. I don't have 10.9 available to try it on.
HenryAZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:02 PM   #19
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAZ View Post
Have you tried 5.6.1 (the Snow Leopard version)? I have that running on 10.8.4. It won't install, but you can copy the app from a Snow Leopard install, or extract it from the install package. In either case, just rename it so it doesn't collide with the current version. I don't have 10.9 available to try it on.
It works in 10.8, but 10.9 won't even run the same app. See the attached image for the app icon in 10.9. Bummer. The best I can recommend is filing bug reports for "UI" or functionality, and non-developers to email Apple with requesting for unsupported features in the current Airport Utility. (I've tried 5.6.1 as well) Thanks any ways, here's hoping it improves
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Titanium81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designgeek View Post
Me too! The "old" one works flawlessly!

New is NOT always BETTER.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion