Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucyMal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi all,

I have a MacBook (early 2008 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz) which I recently upgraded to 4GB RAM (from 2GB) and subsequently installed Lion (OS X 10.7.5), ready to then install Traktor Pro 2 for use with a Kontrol S2 (both brand new). Having installed the hardware/software as instructed in the setup guide for the controller, when running Pro 2 and plugging in the S2 to my laptop, only the USB indicator light flashes on the controller but it does not appear to be 'syncing' with the software/laptop. The software itself seems to be working fine as selected tracks are playing out of the laptop's speakers, it is the controller which has no functionality and no sound is coming out of the active monitor speakers hooked up to it (with XLR to RCA cables).

Having looked on the Native Instruments Service Centre and other internet forums for solutions, as has been suggested on these I have tried deleting and reinstalling the software/drivers, have checked the MIDI setup on the laptop and have checked whether the Controller Editor shows an error message (it doesn't) and none of the above have resolved the problem! I assume I have the correct driver installed as the software download is supposed to include the most up to date version (1.1.0), although I can't find this in the Native Instruments folder that appears once installation is complete to check (I did read on a forum though that this folder is apparently 'invisible' for some reason). I have also read that the issue can be related to the USB cable/port etc, however I am using the brand new USB cable that came with the controller and have checked that I am inserting this into the correct port directly into the laptop (2.0 high speed bus not sharing port with iSight etc).

If anyone has any ideas as to why none of the above have resolved the issue and what could be causing it, any advice would be much appreciated - I am at a total loss as to how to get the S2 working! :confused:

Thanks!

ItsJackNi

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
Have you got anywhere with this.. im having the same problem and have been for ages.. did you find a solution?

mth79

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
i had the same problem. i had installed the latest update etc but it still flashed and had no sound from my s2. so i checked which version i had on my macbook pro - i have 10.7.5 so i downloaded the update from the support page 1.0.8 and then it worked fine

i hope this helps

LucyMal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
i had the same problem. i had installed the latest update etc but it still flashed and had no sound from my s2. so i checked which version i had on my macbook pro - i have 10.7.5 so i downloaded the update from the support page 1.0.8 and then it worked fine

i hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I've tried downloading the 1.0.8. version but it won't install - the 'install' button is greyed out once I've downloaded/opened the update. I assumed this was because I already have a more recent version of the software downloaded (1.1.0) but maybe not? Will give it another go though tonight as getting to the point now where I just want to send the S2 back altogether!

I did contact NI support and they've sent me a replacement controller but I'm still having the same issue so it's gotta be something to do with the drivers etc, just not sure what exactly!

----------

Have you got anywhere with this.. im having the same problem and have been for ages.. did you find a solution?

Not as yet but going to try the suggestion above tonight again. Any luck with yours?

mth79

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I've tried downloading the 1.0.8. version but it won't install - the 'install' button is greyed out once I've downloaded/opened the update. I assumed this was because I already have a more recent version of the software downloaded (1.1.0) but maybe not? Will give it another go though tonight as getting to the point now where I just want to send the S2 back altogether!

I did contact NI support and they've sent me a replacement controller but I'm still having the same issue so it's gotta be something to do with the drivers etc, just not sure what exactly!

----------

Not as yet but going to try the suggestion above tonight again. Any luck with yours?

I'd say that you don't have enough space on you hard drive you may need to delete a couple of files

aaronhbridges

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Possible solution

I have gotten past a few issues with Traktor Pro 2 / S2 / Early 2008 Macbook Core2Duo. I downgraded to Snow Leopard but I think that this might actually work with Lion as well because I had to try a few things even after downgrading before things started working.

Initially on Lion I installed the latest 2.6 update from the NI site and after that no matter what I did, fresh Lion install, install drivers then Traktor, Traktor then drivers, etc all I ever got was the flashing USB panic light.

BTW I know that the S2 is fine b/c it works on my macbook pro without any problem.

After failing on Lion I reinstalled Snow Leopard, then installed the 1.0.8 driver update then I tried to install Traktor but NI actually dropped support for SL after 2.6.0. I couldn't find any way on the NI site to download the older versions (except updates, we'll get to that in a minute) so I torrented 2.6 and installed that. Same issue, no control, flashing usb panic. I noticed on the torrented release that it did not install drivers or service center so I downloaded the 2.6 update from the NI site under updates and installed that with default options to install all drivers and bingo, working S2 with Macbook Early 2008.

I suspect that the 1.0.8 driver is somehow not compatible with the older macbook so using that older update's version fixed it. Hopefully this will work on Lion as well for you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.