Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TygerTyger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi everyone..I dont use GarageBand too much but I am trying to record my voice for about a minute. I recall using this a couple years ago with a cheap line in mic and having no problem..this time around not so simple!

I have a nice high quality USB microphone plugged in, and I went into Utilities and switched over to it as the one I am using.

In Garageband, I picked "vocal" and then female basic. What is missing here is the green lines that show that the mic is picking up noise. I dont seem to be able to activate them. When I hit the record button, of course, the track is blank.

Can someone help with what I might be missing here? After looking around and testing this for a while I cant figure out how to get those green lines to start moving. The mic is on, BTW.

Thank you!

b06tmm

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
South Louisiana
Hi, I would first make sure that GarageBand is set up to see the USB microphone.

On the top menu bar in GarageBand select GarageBand > Preferences > Audio / MIDI, and make sure your input is set to USB microphone or device.

Tim

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, I would first make sure that GarageBand is set up to see the USB microphone.

On the top menu bar in GarageBand select GarageBand > Preferences > Audio / MIDI, and make sure your input is set to USB microphone or device.

Tim

Also becuase Grage Band can record MANY tacks at the same time it has away to point each track at a different microphone. So make sure you point your one signal track to the mic. Notice to pu down menu on the right side of the screen in the edit track area.

Each time yu add a track you need to select a source

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.