Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Number29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Hi all

On my iPhone 5 I quite frequently make calls where the recipient can hear me, but I can't hear them. I place the call, and to me it's just silent, but I eventually realise the call actually went through because there's a call timer showing on the screen. I then have to hang up and redial the person to be able to hear them. Additionally, I'll sometimes place a call and I won't hear any ring tone, but the person at the other end picks up and I can hear them.

Does anyone know what's wrong with my phone? I've had three iPhone 5s and it's happened on all of them.

Many thanks

#29.

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
I had the same problem earlier this week with my new iP5. When making or receiving calls I'd hear nothing whatsoever, yet I'd know the call had been answered as the timer appeared.

I was low on battery at the time, and once the phone died & recharged I had no problem.

Basically a reset fixed it. For how long I don't know

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
It may be your phone,

BUT, take into account that what you're describing is also the symptoms your phone will have if the authorities have tapped and are recording your calls. If this might be a problem for you, then it may be what has happened. I have several clients who reported this happening and then they were charged with drug charges and the evidence submitted to the court were recordings resulting from a secret warrant...

Number29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
There's a conspiracy and a half if I ever heard one! However, I am not a drug dealer, and I don't know whether the UK government are tapping our phones quite like the US government are :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.