Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Has anyone received a panic plist in their Diagnostics and Usage section using IOS 7 Beta 3? I never had one with IOS 6 or IOS 7 Beta 2. Anyone else have this?

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I only have had this once and the only thing I can think of was when my phone got stuck in a DFU type of mode where I had to hold the power and home button down to reset it. Those of you who have this issue, most likely have a panic plist in your diagnostics and usage section in settings. I just want to make sure it's from the beta and not a hardware issue. If anyone could check their log to see if they have a panic plist, I'd greatly appreciate it.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I attached the message for my panic plist crash. From what I read, this means its a hardware issue but I've never experienced this before. Did you receive this too?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 625

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Yes, I have had it happen only on beta 3.
It only panics after ending a FaceTime call. I have managed to get a video, and I can make it happen.
iOS 7 Beta 3 Kernel Panic - YouTube

The crash log is in the description of the video if that help us find out why it happens.

My friend has an iPhone 5 (CDMA) as do I, and we both have kernel panics after we end calls. It is not a hardware issue, and we are both on beta 3. Never happened on beta 2.

There are no panics in the usage data before 7/8.

Last edited:

expertmac2

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2013
maybe it's a kernel panic? (a unrecoverable fatal error, basically) if your iPhone has shutdown unexpectedly while running beta 3, this is probably the crash report from that panic

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
I think this is directly related to FaceTime like someone said earlier. FaceTime is very very buggy for me. I haven't had any crashing, or non responsive screen problems. But when I was trying to use FaceTime and my call couldn't go through, and a message popped up and then my phone was unresponsive no matter what did until I hard rebooted.

richard6r

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
A panic is what expertmac2 mentioned earlier, an unrecoverable error. Think of it as a blue screen for your iPhone. Sending these to apple makes sure future versions don't have any problems that could fatally harm the system. These are also used in jailbreaks. It's how they're made by exploiting these errors and manipulating it into giving elevated access into the system.

The more you know. :apple:

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Thanks for the info guys. My panic crash had nothing to do with using face time but I understand the logic behind it. It did it from the lock screen when I I unlocked the phone. Like I said, it only happened once where I got this panic. It's been pretty good since.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Looks like it finally happened again. So I confirmed the panic plist for me is when my phone crashes to the black screen and is forced to hold the power and home button to reboot. This time I was deleting a song from my music library on my phone and it crashed to the homescreen with no icons. It sat for a second and then the screen went black. After I did the hard reset, I went to my diagnostics and usage and received another panic plist. I guess your phone doesn't necessarily have to be idling for this issue to occur.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    166.1 KB · Views: 190

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Had to come back to add this:
I now also get panics after ending a Google Hangout in the Hangouts app. I downloaded it thinking it could help me avoid the issue until it is fixed in Beta 4.

This is why it's important that some people out there actually do use them on daily-driver phones. Who would be making calls from a reserved, non-activated device?

This issue may be related to camera processes, or more likely an issue with the microphone driver (because it happens in FaceTime Audio).

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Had to come back to add this:
I now also get panics after ending a Google Hangout in the Hangouts app. I downloaded it thinking it could help me avoid the issue until it is fixed in Beta 4.

This is why it's important that some people out there actually do use them on daily-driver phones. Who would be making calls from a reserved, non-activated device?

This issue may be related to camera processes, or more likely an issue with the microphone driver (because it happens in FaceTime Audio).

It's been said that most developers can't afford a developer device so they are forced to put it on their daily driver. Nothing wrong with doing it as long as you know and are prepared for the risks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.