Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Is this a functionality that is currently possible?

By this I mean use an Apple TV to Airplay the screen, but then have the screen that is air played display different content then the actual Macbook screen.

Is this currently possible or am I remembering correctly it's coming in the next release of OSX?

Any third party apps that do it?

Quadra700

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
You might want to check out AirParrot, it`s for those macs without Airplay but it may let you do what your trying to achieve above.

Cheers,

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Is this a functionality that is currently possible?

By this I mean use an Apple TV to Airplay the screen, but then have the screen that is air played display different content then the actual Macbook screen.

Is this currently possible or am I remembering correctly it's coming in the next release of OSX?

Any third party apps that do it?

Which Mac do you have? Only certain ones are capable.

As of right now you can only mirror your display, with the release of mavericks you will be able to use the Apple TV as a 2nd display

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Which Mac do you have? Only certain ones are capable.

As of right now you can only mirror your display, with the release of mavericks you will be able to use the Apple TV as a 2nd display

2012 cMBP, I'm currently Airplaying with the built in functionality fine.

I'm just wondering about the 2nd monitor

----------

You might want to check out AirParrot, it`s for those macs without Airplay but it may let you do what your trying to achieve above.

Cheers,

My Mac can airplay, it's a 2012 cMBP. I just want to be able to airplay a tv show while doing work on laptop screen. Not have two of the same thing.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
2012 cMBP, I'm currently Airplaying with the built in functionality fine.

I'm just wondering about the 2nd monitor

----------

My Mac can airplay, it's a 2012 cMBP. I just want to be able to airplay a tv show while doing work on laptop screen. Not have two of the same thing.

Yup, then that is no possible yet. This is one of the new features coming in the New OS this fall.

I believe there are 3rd party software that do it for now though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.