Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marktwothousand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Is it just me, or are the articles out there that talk about the "Apple Lightning cable protection being bypassed" a crock? I have bought 4 (FOUR) 30-pin to lightning adapters from Ebay and almost ALL have a 100% failure rate eventually.

Here's how it always seems to play out:
- For the first week or so, the cable works fine.
- By week two, the phone starts not recognizing the cable gets plugged in and I have to put it in and take it out a few times to get it to work. Approx 50% recognition rate.
- By the next week, the "recognition rate" goes down to about 10% (meaning I have to plug it in and out of the phone about 10 times before it starts charging)
- After that point, I start to get the "Charging not supported" pop-up. Removing and inserting the plug usually fixes that.
- Eventually the "Charging not Supported" pop-up comes up every time, and effectively kills the plug.

Luckily I have lucked out with every EBay seller so far and got refunds (one made me return the cable). But seriously guys, why was there so much fanfare a few months back about third-parties finally "cracking the code" on these lightning cables. This has NOT been the case atall in my experience.

Do I just have bad luck with the sellers I've been dealing with, or is this happening to most people?

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
I would put the failure rate down more to the cables being cheaply made crap. If its recognized the first time, there's no reason that I know of that it should not be recognized every time other than a fault with the cable.

marktwothousand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
I can attest that at least one of the four cables I had, was due to a loose connection. The plug would intermittently work depending on how I shifted it.

However the others didn't have such symptoms. I guess the point of my post is...are these sellers really cracking the lightning code successfully, or is the reality that the code has NOT been fully successfully cracked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.