Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hbs2018

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Can some one explain the education discount at the apple store? Is it just for collage or teachers or can anyone in school use I? Thanks!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ this guy is right.

Now let the people chime in about how easy it is to use without verification. For me, every time I used it (online and in store) I had to verify my status as a college student.

coolaaron88

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thought if you are dying for an Apple Store discount and you dont mind going in store to get it, take a friend or family member in with you to buy the device on your behalf. Just make sure they bring their ID with them for proof and you get what you wanted without all the shady hassle.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
"Apple education pricing is a great way for college students, parents buying for a college student, faculty, homeschool teachers, and staff at all grade levels to purchase Mac computers, Apple software, and select accessories at special prices. Students who have been accepted to college are also eligible. Just shop at the Apple Store for Education and start saving."

jtus

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
It works for all grade levels not just college students, It also is for teachers and staff.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
"Apple education pricing is a great way for college students, parents buying for a college student, faculty, homeschool teachers, and staff at all grade levels to purchase Mac computers, Apple software, and select accessories at special prices. Students who have been accepted to college are also eligible. Just shop at the Apple Store for Education and start saving."

Good post, just in case the OP can't click on the link I provided.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
where do you live? find the link for your relevant country/city and use it. worst case you get asked to prove youre a student, best case you get the discount. i know lots of people who have used the link for my uni and have received the discounted product.

tehsprayer

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
i'm in highschool and I bought online with "retail" pricing, so regular but within 14 days called the support and tell them my order number and say I'm attending a random college/university and got an email with $100 the next day.

r0c

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
I work for a college. I was able to just pull up my .edu email for verification, left my id at home that day. Discount works for students teachers and staff.:D

antjefferson

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
I believe that discount is only for college students and teachers that have valid ID's to prove who they are.

Hmm...I was able to get the discount pricing (online) without having to provide ANY PROOF WHATSOEVER! In order to access the edu discount page I had to type in who I work for - but from then on I was able to shop and purchase without giving any additional info...which was surprising. Will they ask me to provide proof when I go to pick it up at the store (since I chose ship to store)?

In answer to the original question, any student, faculty, or staff qualify. This includes K-12 as well as higher ed. I work for a school district as a web master and I qualified. HTH.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Good post, just in case the OP can't click on the link I provided.

Links are known to change. Not to mention this forum too, gets indexed by Google. So eventually, people will Google "Apple Education discount" to find this thread... with the answer being "google Apple Education discount." Which is not very helpful.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Links are known to change. Not to mention this forum too, gets indexed by Google. So eventually, people will Google "Apple Education discount" to find this thread... with the answer being "google Apple Education discount." Which is not very helpful.

No, they wont find this thread, they will find the Apple URL. Why would anyone come here when they can get the facts from Apple, not people's opinions.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Apple's education pricing is a joke. Anyone can get it.

Save money and just buy on Amazon. Instant education pricing and no useless App gift card.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Apple's education pricing is a joke. Anyone can get it.

Save money and just buy on Amazon. Instant education pricing and no useless App gift card.

Umm, no.

Amazon is currently $11 cheaper on the base 13" Air.

Edu discount is $50 + $100 gift card.

Not sure how saving $11 is better than saving $150.

Plus, you can only get base models on Amazon. I wanted 8GB of RAM so Apple was my only choice. Plus I saved $10 on that thanks to the Edu discount.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Umm, no.

Amazon is currently $11 cheaper on the base 13" Air.

Edu discount is $50 + $100 gift card.

Not sure how saving $11 is better than saving $150.

Plus, you can only get base models on Amazon. I wanted 8GB of RAM so Apple was my only choice. Plus I saved $10 on that thanks to the Edu discount.
Yeah, I suppose you're right - IF we could ignore the real world and exclude taxes.

Buying from Apple: $1049 * .07 (avg sales tax) = 76.93 + $1049 = $1122.43 - $100 Mac App Gift card (ASSUMING you already were going to spend $100 on software - which is dumb they don't just give you entire store credit on accessories) = $1022.43

Buy from Amazon: $1088.99 Free Shipping

Now you only saved $66.56 by going to Apple and possibly buying a gift card you didn't even need.

If you live in one of the few unlucky states where Amazon charges sales tax, then sure, Apple is better. But, that's only 10/50 states. Granted, three of those are the largest states by population in America, but still. Obviously if you want/need something more than the base then this wouldn't work either.

Amazon has better discounts on some of the devices: the base 11" Air is $949, the same as Apple with the discount. Plus you don't have to offload the $100 card.

I still stand by my statement that education pricing is a joke when it isn't limited at all on who can buy it. You are required to show zero proof when purchasing online. Even buying in the store only requires a 10 year old student ID from when you were a student.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
No, they wont find this thread, they will find the Apple URL. Why would anyone come here when they can get the facts from Apple, not people's opinions.

This existence of this thread alone is proof that people will come here before going to Apple for the information they seek.

barrk

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, I suppose you're right - IF we could ignore the real world and exclude taxes.

Buying from Apple: $1049 * .07 (avg sales tax) = 76.93 + $1049 = $1122.43 - $100 Mac App Gift card (ASSUMING you already were going to spend $100 on software - which is dumb they don't just give you entire store credit on accessories) = $1022.43

Now you only saved $66.56 by going to Apple and possibly buying a gift card you didn't even need.

If you live in one of the few unlucky states where Amazon charges sales tax, then sure, Apple is better. But, that's only 10/50 states. Granted, three of those are the largest states by population in America, but still. Obviously if you want/need something more than the base then this wouldn't work either.

Amazon has better discounts on some of the devices: the base 11" Air is $949, the same as Apple with the discount. Plus you don't have to offload the $100 card.

I still stand by my statement that education pricing is a joke when it isn't limited at all on who can buy it. You are required to show zero proof when purchasing online. Even buying in the store only requires a 10 year old student ID from when you were a student.
Your own math proved him right.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
If you live in one of the few unlucky states where Amazon charges sales tax, then sure, Apple is better. But, that's only 10/50 states. Granted, three of those are the largest states by population in America, but still.

You also missed the 5 states that do not charge sales tax... in which case, Apple is almost always better.

/Jim

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
This existence of this thread alone is proof that people will come here before going to Apple for the information they seek.

The existence of this thread only proves people would rather have other people do their work for them instead of Googling and getting answers, from the source, themselves.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal

I live in California so I have to pay taxes.

You made a blanket statement in your original post that Amazon was better ignoring all the states that now requires Amazon to charge tax (including the biggest, California). Thanks for correcting it so you don't sound so silly.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The existence of this thread only proves people would rather have other people do their work for them instead of Googling and getting answers, from the source, themselves.

And we can either provide the information and move on, or spend lots of wasted time griping to each other about how people don't Google anymore.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

Talk about ignoring the real world.

• Apple is better if you live in a state that charges sales tax, where the most people live.
  • Apple is better if you want something other than the base model.
  • Apple is better if you also want software.
  • Apple offers education discounts to almost everyone and this is bad, how?:confused:

----------

And we can either provide the information and move on, or spend lots of wasted time griping to each other about how people don't Google anymore.

Or you could just leave the thread alone and not answer. :)

I provided the answer. You would rather start an argument because you got called on providing an answer that had already been provided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.