Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,

I recently brought a USB 3.0 pci crad for my pc, thinking it would increase the speed of my syncing of my iphone and ipad.

theirs no change in speed at all, and im still using the same cables that came with the iphone 4 and ipad 3.

does a high speed usb-30 pin cable exist that transfers at a faster rate ?

many thanks,

Stuart

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
I don't think Apple makes a USB3 cable. However, the transfer speed is also probably limited by the iPad/iPhone itself.

thanx for your quick reply,

but would their be a third party one maybe ?

I have searched amazon, but everything seems to be the lighting or thunderbolt cable now :|

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your devices are USB 2.0. Your cable is USB 2.0. Even if you found a 30 pin cable that was rated as USB 3.0 you would be limited to USB 2.0 speeds because that's what your devices are rated as. Buying what you bought will not automatically convert your USB 2.0 devices to USB 3.0.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Your devices are USB 2.0. Your cable is USB 2.0. Even if you found a 30 pin cable that was rated as USB 3.0 you would be limited to USB 2.0 speeds because that's what your devices are rated as. Buying what you bought will not automatically convert your USB 2.0 devices to USB 3.0.

hello,

I did think that ... but ...

when I charged my ipad using my iphone 4 usb cable ... accidently .. it was charging at about 1% per hour ...

after figuring out what id did wrong, I swapped it for the cable that came with the ipad, and it started charging at normal speed, about10% every hr.

many thanks

Stuart

----------

hello,

when I charged my ipad using my iphone 4 usb cable ... accidently .. it was charging at about 1% per hour ...

after figuring out what id did wrong, I swapped it for the cable that came with the ipad, and it started charging at normal speed, about10% every hr.

many thanks

Stuart

so I know it wont convert it ... but I am aware that high(er) speed cables exist for faster data rates (speeds)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
hello,

many thanks

Stuart

----------

so I know it wont convert it ... but I am aware that high(er) speed cables exist for faster data rates (speeds)
You originally stated that you bought this crad (?) to speed up syncing. Now you're talking about the speed of charging.

I can's say what the difference in charging might be in regard to one cable over the other. Perhaps one was damaged in some way? IDK.

The rate should be the same no matter how fast the cable is. But in regards to syncing (moving data) you're limited to the speed of the device.

For instance…I have the iPhone 5 with a lightning cable. But the one PC I have that can sync it only has USB 1.0 cables. So, my i5, while a 2.0 device is limited by the speed of the PCs 1.0 ports.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
hello,

many thanks

Stuart

----------

I really doubt that changing the cable would make any difference unless the first one was faulty. Are you sure you didn't swap the power bricks? They're rated at different wattages. Not sure what the difference between iPad and iPhone chargers are, I'd imagine around 5W.

In answer to your first question, I'm 99.99% sure there isn't a USB 3 30 pin cable, and even if there was, a) I don't think iOS devices would support it, and b) data transfer speeds are limited by the hardware at the moment anyway.

stuartrozier

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
I really doubt that changing the cable would make any difference unless the first one was faulty. Are you sure you didn't swap the power bricks? They're rated at different wattages. Not sure what the difference between iPad and iPhone chargers are, I'd imagine around 5W.

In answer to your first question, I'm 99.99% sure there isn't a USB 3 30 pin cable, and even if there was, a) I don't think iOS devices would support it, and b) data transfer speeds are limited by the hardware at the moment anyway.

okey doke, thankyou for your reply : )

----------

You originally stated that you bought this crad (?) to speed up syncing. Now you're talking about the speed of charging.

I can's say what the difference in charging might be in regard to one cable over the other. Perhaps one was damaged in some way? IDK.

The rate should be the same no matter how fast the cable is. But in regards to syncing (moving data) you're limited to the speed of the device.

For instance…I have the iPhone 5 with a lightning cable. But the one PC I have that can sync it only has USB 1.0 cables. So, my i5, while a 2.0 device is limited by the speed of the PCs 1.0 ports.

okey doke, thankyou for your reply : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.