Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T to Acquire Prepaid Carrier Leap Wireless/Cricket for $15/Share

AT&T has agreed to acquire Leap Wireless, the parent company of prepaid U.S. wireless carrier Cricket, for $15/share -- roughly $1.2 billion in cash, plus the $2.8 billion in net debt that the company holds.

The company has 5 million subscribers, and AT&T will keep the Cricket brand and retail stores operating. Last year, Leap engaged in a three-year agreement with Apple to sell iPhones.
Quote:
AT&T Inc. and prepaid wireless provider Leap Wireless International Inc. have entered into an agreement for AT&T to acquire Leap for $15 per share in cash. Under the terms of the agreement, AT&T will acquire all of Leap's stock and wireless properties, including licenses, network assets, retail stores and approximately 5 million subscribers. As of April 15, 2013, Leap had $2.8 billion of net debt. Leap shareholders will also receive a contingent right entitling them to the net proceeds received on the sale of Leap's 700 Mhz "A Block" spectrum in Chicago, which Leap purchased for $204 million in August 2012.

Leap's network covers approximately 96 million people in 35 U.S. states. Leap currently operates -- under the Cricket brand -- a 3G CDMA network, as well as a 4G LTE network covering 21 million people in these areas, and has 3,400 employees.
The transaction is expected to be closed within six to nine months.

Article Link: AT&T to Acquire Prepaid Carrier Leap Wireless/Cricket for $15/Share
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2
AHDuke99
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
Congrats to those stock holders... :P
AHDuke99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Small White Car
macrumors G4

I'm sure cynics will disagree, but I suspect AT&T won't change much about Cricket. This gives them the ability to gain price-sensitive customers without diluting the AT&T brand with lower-priced plans. Absorbing or altering Cricket would destroy that opportunity.
Small White Car is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Excuse my ignorance but, why would AT&T, a GSM carrier, want Leap/Cricket, a CDMA carrier?
lolkthxbai is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
I'm sure cynics will disagree, but I suspect AT&T won't change much about Cricket. This gives them the ability to gain price-sensitive customers without diluting the AT&T brand with lower-priced plans. Absorbing or altering Cricket would destroy that opportunity.
I was just wondering myself what ATT will do with them. I guess time will tell.
UnfetteredMind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:03 PM   #6
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsterilite View Post
Excuse my ignorance but, why would AT&T, a GSM carrier, want Leap/Cricket, a CDMA carrier?
Spectrum for LTE
osofast240sx is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:03 PM   #7
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Most likely spectrum. The customer base isn't the greatest, and as you mention, they use different voice technologies.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:07 PM   #8
hirshnoc
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to hirshnoc Send a message via Skype™ to hirshnoc
I wonder if AT&T will use this to improve their network...no, no probably not.
hirshnoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:41 PM   #9
shanmugam
macrumors 68020

poor t-mobile

t-mobile - they are left out distant fourth (with sprint bought with clearwire and cash from softbank take over)

t-mobiles does not have lower frequency and no more spectrum ...

and poor citizens us - we have one less choice!
shanmugam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:52 PM   #10
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Cool. Just keep inching closer to a monopoly...
Xenomorph is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post
t-mobile - they are left out distant fourth (with sprint bought with clearwire and cash from softbank take over)

t-mobiles does not have lower frequency and no more spectrum ...

and poor citizens us - we have one less choice!
T-Mobile has more LTE up than Sprint. Cash was not Sprints problem.
osofast240sx is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:05 PM   #12
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
The company was deep in bankruptcy, buying them is a lot better in many ways rather letting them fall apart.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:26 PM   #13
zin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
AT&T still remains a monopoly from the old days, albeit a smaller one.
zin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #14
brianFL
macrumors newbie

Less competition, higher prices. What isn't to like?
brianFL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #15
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Leap shareholders will also receive a contingent right entitling them to the net proceeds received on the sale of Leap's 700 Mhz "A Block" spectrum in Chicago, which Leap purchased for $204 million in August 2012.
Does that mean AT&T is planning to sell this "A Block" spectrum to another company? I wonder if that is because of an expected FCC requirement for approving the merger, as AT&T probably owns "B Block" spectrum in that area.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:05 PM   #16
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So they can eliminate all competition. One day there will be one american phone company
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
So they can eliminate all competition. One day there will be one american phone company
Until they get broken up, again.
Codyak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:10 AM   #18
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:42 AM   #19
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
Until they get broken up, again.
And the cycle repeats itself.

Somewhere along the way I'm sure we will have a massive government bailout at taxpayer expense because these monopolies will be deemed "too big to fail."
Breaking Good is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:02 AM   #20
mschmalenbach
macrumors member

Paying effectively $4Bn ($1.2Bn in cash and taking on $2.8Bn in debt) for 5 million customers - that's $800 per PRICE SENSITIVE customer - did AT&T have some kind of mental flip-out?
mschmalenbach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:18 AM   #21
CEmajr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmalenbach View Post
Paying effectively $4Bn ($1.2Bn in cash and taking on $2.8Bn in debt) for 5 million customers - that's $800 per PRICE SENSITIVE customer - did AT&T have some kind of mental flip-out?
It's a about the spectrum. AT&T couldn't care less about their customer base. They were rapidly losing customers anyway.
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:37 AM   #22
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
It's a about the spectrum. AT&T couldn't care less about their customer base. They were rapidly losing customers anyway.
Actually the fact is smartphones are near saturation as seen by both Apple & Samsungs sales numbers. Therefore any loss of contract subscribers is a reflection of the current market conditions. While there's always room for improvement, AT&T is very adept at customer retention. They didn't grow to their present size without providing good customer service.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:20 AM   #23
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:

Hspa and lte are just newer versions of CDMA anyway
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:02 PM   #24
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Actually the fact is smartphones are near saturation as seen by both Apple & Samsungs sales numbers. Therefore any loss of contract subscribers is a reflection of the current market conditions. While there's always room for improvement, AT&T is very adept at customer retention. They didn't grow to their present size without providing good customer service.
ATT is very bad at customer retention.

They just charged a 70 cent fee for no reason but to get their balance sheet up by $775 million. I quit out of spite. Was paying $140/month on my service. So I have negated 200 customers worth of 70 cent fee.

The only reason ATT has a reputation is because of their coverage along with Verizon. Customers are just fodder for their balance sheets.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
ATT is very bad at customer retention.

They just charged a 70 cent fee for no reason but to get their balance sheet up by $775 million. I quit out of spite. Was paying $140/month on my service. So I have negated 200 customers worth of 70 cent fee.

The only reason ATT has a reputation is because of their coverage along with Verizon. Customers are just fodder for their balance sheets.
If AT&T and VZW are so bad, why have they been the only carriers having a net gain of subscribers quarter after quarter? Customer retention is so bad that they keep adding customers right?

Why have TMobile and Sprint been loosing customers during the same period? Because they have terrible customer retention. Uncarrier just makes that worse because they have no incentive to stay, ever.

If 70 cents is too much to pay, I hear not eating saves money in the long run too.

AT&T and VZW have fantastic customer service. The opposite of your beloved TMobile, who has the worst customer service in the business.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmalenbach View Post
Spectrum and they have the money.

Leap will probably be shut down eventually and the spectrum will be used for LTE and HSPA. Very similar to TMobile's MetroPCS merger.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion