Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the course of the last two days, Apple has seeded two bug fixes for developers using OS X Mavericks Preview 3, which was first released on Monday. The first minor update, pushed yesterday, was aimed at updating the OS X Recovery function.

mavericksgraphicsupdate-800x135.png
Today's small update resolves an issue that causes a Mac running Mavericks Developer 3 preview to reboot without warning. Both updates are available via the Mac App Store.

OS X Mavericks introduces a number of significant changes to the operating system, including a tabbed finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, and Safari improvements. Mavericks is expected to be released in this fall after regular updates to the beta software.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Two OS X Mavericks Preview 3 Bug Fixes

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Please add non-shaky support for the ATI Radeon HD 2600, which came with all the 2008 Mac Pros that are supposedly compatible with Mavericks. I tried Mavericks, and it was slow and had graphical issues just as Mountain Lion did on my GPU.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Please add non-shaky support for the ATI Radeon HD 2600, which came with all the 2008 Mac Pros that are supposedly compatible with Mavericks. I tried Mavericks, and it was slow and had graphical issues just as Mountain Lion did on my GPU.

It's still a beta … and that's one old graphics card.

boomer0001

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Has anyone else noticed when you use the arrow menu next to Update All, it gives options of "Install Now, In an Hour and Tonight"?

I may have just overlooked it though.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Has anyone else noticed when you use the arrow menu next to Update All, it gives options of "Install Now, In an Hour and Tonight"?

I may have just overlooked it though.

I just noticed this in the OS X App Store. Additionally, I have never seen a list of applications installed in the last 30 days in the "Updates" section before now.

tanousjm

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Additionally, I have never seen a list of applications installed in the last 30 days in the "Updates" section before now.

I saw this, too. With automatic app updates now in iOS 7 and OS X, it's the only way to know which apps have been updated in the background.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

Quite bizarre because I've got a family friend who I've given my old iMac to which has the Radeon HD 2600 and doesn't exhibit those issues when running Mountain Lion. Just thinking out aloud how the issues can arise on a Mac Pro but not an iMac - tried a clean install? benchmark the driver using OpenGL Extensions Viewer? where abouts have you noticed the slow and problematic graphics - all instances or just with particular applications?

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Quite bizarre because I've got a family friend who I've given my old iMac to which has the Radeon HD 2600 and doesn't exhibit those issues when running Mountain Lion. Just thinking out aloud how the issues can arise on a Mac Pro but not an iMac - tried a clean install? benchmark the driver using OpenGL Extensions Viewer? where abouts have you noticed the slow and problematic graphics - all instances or just with particular applications?

It's noticeably slow everywhere. As a measure of how well it's working, my GPU fan gets noisy whenever I'm using Mountain Lion, even if it's idling with no apps open. Other people with Mac Pros with the Radeon HD 2600 have been complaining, but some of them have been saying that it works fine.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

Not bizarre at all. It's an old card. That's it. I'm sure the problem is isolated to his computer and not to Mac pros specifically. That's what happens with older hardware. It's starts to act funny and slows down as it ages.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Apple may have a surprise early release. I think they should.

Do you think they might call it Maverix or MaveriX ? ... I think they should.

Patman

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2003
I dont know that "hardware slows down as it ages"

It may be less effective than newer hardware at the task at hand but it dosent get tired.

As far as older hardware heating thermal limits because of dissapated thermal compound. Thats a different and fixable issue.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
That Graphics Update hanged my MBP when trying to restart... Had to force restart it before the installer can resume... :confused::confused:

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
I dont know that "hardware slows down as it ages"

It may be less effective than newer hardware at the task at hand but it dosent get tired.

As far as older hardware heating thermal limits because of dissapated thermal compound. Thats a different and fixable issue.

It slows down with every line of code added to OS X. Each one adds that much more load. A few OS revisions later and most hardware starts to feel slower.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Shutdown times are great! It's like SL and Lion again. Not sure if this is DP3 or these updates because I did them all at once.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Shutdown times are great! It's like SL and Lion again. Not sure if this is DP3 or these updates because I did them all at once.

Nope... It is still slow at random...

The quickest shut down so far after the update is still slower than Snow Leopard...

----------

It slows down with every line of code added to OS X. Each one adds that much more load. A few OS revisions later and most hardware starts to feel slower.

Off-topic... So which BOINC project did you participate...? :D:D

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

Not due to code added to OS X since for any code added there's also redundant code removed from the kernel in each release. And since the CPU performance of the old hardware never changes with subsequent OS releases (Geekbench results stay stable under different OS's) it's mostly the GPU requirements of the new OS being higher due to more animations / effects.

And certainly the slowdown isn't uniform. Some parts of the OS actually gets faster with new releases on the same old hardware. 10.9 Safari works faster than all the previous Safari's on my 2008 Mac Pro.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Not bizarre at all. It's an old card. That's it. I'm sure the problem is isolated to his computer and not to Mac pros specifically. That's what happens with older hardware. It's starts to act funny and slows down as it ages.

Did you even read what I wrote? my old iMac has the same card yet doesn't exhibit such behaviour hence I'm curious to know why he is experiencing it yet I am not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.