Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeds Two OS X Mavericks Preview 3 Bug Fixes

Over the course of the last two days, Apple has seeded two bug fixes for developers using OS X Mavericks Preview 3, which was first released on Monday. The first minor update, pushed yesterday, was aimed at updating the OS X Recovery function.

Today's small update resolves an issue that causes a Mac running Mavericks Developer 3 preview to reboot without warning. Both updates are available via the Mac App Store.

OS X Mavericks introduces a number of significant changes to the operating system, including a tabbed finder, full screen dual monitor capabilities, and Safari improvements. Mavericks is expected to be released in this fall after regular updates to the beta software.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Two OS X Mavericks Preview 3 Bug Fixes
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Keep 'em comin!
sulpfiction is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:01 PM   #3
donutbagel
Banned

Please add non-shaky support for the ATI Radeon HD 2600, which came with all the 2008 Mac Pros that are supposedly compatible with Mavericks. I tried Mavericks, and it was slow and had graphical issues just as Mountain Lion did on my GPU.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
collinmac
macrumors member

Very glad this came up, I ran into this issue 2 nights ago.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbagel View Post
Please add non-shaky support for the ATI Radeon HD 2600, which came with all the 2008 Mac Pros that are supposedly compatible with Mavericks. I tried Mavericks, and it was slow and had graphical issues just as Mountain Lion did on my GPU.
It's still a beta and that's one old graphics card.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:01 PM   #6
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
It's still a beta and that's one old graphics card.
Yes and yes, but Mountain Lion is not in beta, and the card is supposed to be supported.
donutbagel is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:11 PM   #7
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Yes and yes, but Mountain Lion is not in beta, and the card is supposed to be supported.
Ah, sorry about that. Jumped the gun and missed the last part of the paragraph. Sorry again
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
boomer0001
macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed when you use the arrow menu next to Update All, it gives options of "Install Now, In an Hour and Tonight"?

I may have just overlooked it though.
boomer0001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:25 PM   #9
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Ah, sorry about that. Jumped the gun and missed the last part of the paragraph. Sorry again
Ah, ok. I might be getting a 5770 soon because I'm sick of this old card.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:29 PM   #10
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer0001 View Post
Has anyone else noticed when you use the arrow menu next to Update All, it gives options of "Install Now, In an Hour and Tonight"?

I may have just overlooked it though.
I just noticed this in the OS X App Store. Additionally, I have never seen a list of applications installed in the last 30 days in the "Updates" section before now.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:15 PM   #11
tanousjm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Additionally, I have never seen a list of applications installed in the last 30 days in the "Updates" section before now.
I saw this, too. With automatic app updates now in iOS 7 and OS X, it's the only way to know which apps have been updated in the background.
tanousjm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:21 PM   #12
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanousjm View Post
I saw this, too. With automatic app updates now in iOS 7 and OS X, it's the only way to know which apps have been updated in the background.
Excellent point.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:22 PM   #13
MrNomNoms

Quote:
Quite bizarre because I've got a family friend who I've given my old iMac to which has the Radeon HD 2600 and doesn't exhibit those issues when running Mountain Lion. Just thinking out aloud how the issues can arise on a Mac Pro but not an iMac - tried a clean install? benchmark the driver using OpenGL Extensions Viewer? where abouts have you noticed the slow and problematic graphics - all instances or just with particular applications?
MrNomNoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #14
donutbagel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNomNoms View Post
Quite bizarre because I've got a family friend who I've given my old iMac to which has the Radeon HD 2600 and doesn't exhibit those issues when running Mountain Lion. Just thinking out aloud how the issues can arise on a Mac Pro but not an iMac - tried a clean install? benchmark the driver using OpenGL Extensions Viewer? where abouts have you noticed the slow and problematic graphics - all instances or just with particular applications?
It's noticeably slow everywhere. As a measure of how well it's working, my GPU fan gets noisy whenever I'm using Mountain Lion, even if it's idling with no apps open. Other people with Mac Pros with the Radeon HD 2600 have been complaining, but some of them have been saying that it works fine.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:06 PM   #15
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNomNoms View Post
Not bizarre at all. It's an old card. That's it. I'm sure the problem is isolated to his computer and not to Mac pros specifically. That's what happens with older hardware. It's starts to act funny and slows down as it ages.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:06 PM   #16
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Apple may have a surprise early release. I think they should.

Do you think they might call it Maverix or MaveriX ? ... I think they should.
DisMyMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:53 PM   #17
Patman
macrumors newbie

I dont know that "hardware slows down as it ages"

It may be less effective than newer hardware at the task at hand but it dosent get tired.

As far as older hardware heating thermal limits because of dissapated thermal compound. Thats a different and fixable issue.
Patman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:05 AM   #18
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

That Graphics Update hanged my MBP when trying to restart... Had to force restart it before the installer can resume...
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:34 AM   #19
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I dont know that "hardware slows down as it ages"

It may be less effective than newer hardware at the task at hand but it dosent get tired.

As far as older hardware heating thermal limits because of dissapated thermal compound. Thats a different and fixable issue.
It slows down with every line of code added to OS X. Each one adds that much more load. A few OS revisions later and most hardware starts to feel slower.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:23 AM   #20
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Shutdown times are great! It's like SL and Lion again. Not sure if this is DP3 or these updates because I did them all at once.
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:04 AM   #21
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Shutdown times are great! It's like SL and Lion again. Not sure if this is DP3 or these updates because I did them all at once.
Nope... It is still slow at random...

The quickest shut down so far after the update is still slower than Snow Leopard...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
It slows down with every line of code added to OS X. Each one adds that much more load. A few OS revisions later and most hardware starts to feel slower.
Off-topic... So which BOINC project did you participate...?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:53 AM   #22
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

I keep feeling OS X Mavericks will be a free upgrade.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:40 AM   #23
squeeks
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to squeeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonMac50 View Post
I keep feeling OS X Mavericks will be a free upgrade.
Nope, there are more new features between .8 and .9 than there were between .7 and .8
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:44 AM   #24
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Not due to code added to OS X since for any code added there's also redundant code removed from the kernel in each release. And since the CPU performance of the old hardware never changes with subsequent OS releases (Geekbench results stay stable under different OS's) it's mostly the GPU requirements of the new OS being higher due to more animations / effects.

And certainly the slowdown isn't uniform. Some parts of the OS actually gets faster with new releases on the same old hardware. 10.9 Safari works faster than all the previous Safari's on my 2008 Mac Pro.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:07 AM   #25
MrNomNoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Not bizarre at all. It's an old card. That's it. I'm sure the problem is isolated to his computer and not to Mac pros specifically. That's what happens with older hardware. It's starts to act funny and slows down as it ages.
Did you even read what I wrote? my old iMac has the same card yet doesn't exhibit such behaviour hence I'm curious to know why he is experiencing it yet I am not.
MrNomNoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion