Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
It's quite normal. It even happens on iOS 6 as well. Whenever the cache size of any particular app increases a lot, it starts cleaning out to regain space. Also apps such as Facebook does this too. So there is nothing to worry.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I once went into my usage to see the shock that Instagram was consuming 1.6 Gb of space. About an hour later it proceeded to clean itself, reducing its usage back to much more normal levels!

5t3f4n

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Thanks for posting this. I was never aware this feature existed in iOS.
But can someone with more knowledge shed some details on the feature?
Is this something developers has to manually include (or exclude?) in apps, or does iOS do this for all apps?
Also, how does it determine what to clean?
It wouldn't be too popular if it accidentally cleaned out offline Spotify playlists or something similar.

Either way, I'm not sure it's functioning as intended.
I've had to delete and re-install apps to manually clear caches in the past.
This feature seems designed to prevent that exact scenario.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Thanks for posting this. I was never aware this feature existed in iOS.
But can someone with more knowledge shed some details on the feature?
Is this something developers has to manually include (or exclude?) in apps, or does iOS do this for all apps?
Also, how does it determine what to clean?
It wouldn't be too popular if it accidentally cleaned out offline Spotify playlists or something similar.

Either way, I'm not sure it's functioning as intended.
I've had to delete and re-install apps to manually clear caches in the past.
This feature seems designed to prevent that exact scenario.

Any content that is in the "cache" should be deletable by iOS without any serious content.

Using your example, Spotify would not store your offline music there.

CharismaticNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
I really hope this is back for good, it hasn't appeared once in 6.1.4 for me, and I've had to use phone clean to make sure my other size isn't monstrously huge

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I really hope this is back for good, it hasn't appeared once in 6.1.4 for me, and I've had to use phone clean to make sure my other size isn't monstrously huge

Why does it matter?

The whole point of caching anything is to save time by using space that isn't needed.

If you require that space further down the line, it should be automatically cleared up by the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.