Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BEL86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
I've had a family plan with AT&T for about 15 years. I am getting ready to move to Guatemala to teach for about 9-14 months (possibly longer if I love it :) )

My question is, do you recommend that I keep my current AT&T service and strictly use FaceTime/Viber/WhatsApp/Facebook and other Wifi apps to keep in touch? OR should I cancel my AT&T contract, unlock my iPhone5, and get a local service provider over there?

I will be in an area that there are many wifi hotspots, but clearly not if I go hiking, to the beach etc.

Does anyone have personal experience with anything similar? All opinions and suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
it is better to have a local sim. you can unlock your phone and keep the two services, american phone in case of need and foreign for communication in that country

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
There are too many variables to give advice.

For instance, you say a family plan, are you the primary account holder, are you just one of the phone lines, are you grandfathered in any of the plan that you couldn't live without upon your return, is everybody on the plan going?

For me, I have had my number for years and would want to keep it and have a local number to use on trips home so, I would put my number on a dumb phone and keep that to retain the account. I would then pick up a local phone in Guatemala.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
I've had a family plan with AT&T for about 15 years. I am getting ready to move to Guatemala to teach for about 9-14 months (possibly longer if I love it :) )

My question is, do you recommend that I keep my current AT&T service and strictly use FaceTime/Viber/WhatsApp/Facebook and other Wifi apps to keep in touch? OR should I cancel my AT&T contract, unlock my iPhone5, and get a local service provider over there?

I will be in an area that there are many wifi hotspots, but clearly not if I go hiking, to the beach etc.

Does anyone have personal experience with anything similar? All opinions and suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!

You can unlock your iphone without canceling your contract, you can simply ask them for you. I'm currently in china for 2 months and I didn't want to get an international plan but I wanted to use a local sim with a lot cheaper rates. Unlocking your iphone with AT&T is very simple, you can google it and there will be a form to fill out on the AT&T site, or you can call customer service and they will help you. They unlocked mine with no hassle, they asked me why I was unlocking and I told them and they understood. There are some prerequisite such as having been a customer for x amount of time and only being able to unlock 5 phones in a year or something, but that shouldn't be a problem for you. So I suggest just google it or look around on AT&T's website, they have a page dedicated to this.

I suggest you use a local sim because it'll probably be a lot cheaper and you might even get data with it, like I did. Relying on wifi is just not too reliable, and it could Be spotty. There's nothing more frustrating than an iphone that doesn't function fully :) anyways I hope I helped, dig around and I'm sure you'll find it. If you have more questions, let me know.

BEL86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Thanks!

Thank you all! Especially @Aimee.Elizabeth! I will be calling AT&T ASAP and hoping they give me the same help you received!!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Thank you all! Especially @Aimee.Elizabeth! I will be calling AT&T ASAP and hoping they give me the same help you received!!

If the CS on the phone is no help go to the form online. I heard the CS over the phone can be hit or miss. I filled out the form online with no question asked. Much easier just may not be as fast.

BEL86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2011
If the CS on the phone is no help go to the form online. I heard the CS over the phone can be hit or miss. I filled out the form online with no question asked. Much easier just may not be as fast.

Good to know!!! Thank you!!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i think you can also suspend your service on a temporary basis. i think its usually used for service members going overseas. may want to consider that if you want to maybe come back. this will avoid needing to cancel the plan altogether, and allow you to reactivate it once you come back.

however, after reviewing the suspension details, it says plan charges still occur. wtf is the point of that???

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB102788&cv=820#fbid=Iy13I91UOCd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.