Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
I've switched to using Safari for... Well I've never really used it except on a G4 and on ipad... I've always used either chrome or IE.

I tried Safari on my 13" retina macbook pro, and yes, the newest version DOES use less memory, saves battery life, and surfs the web much noticeably smoother (I am now getting over 7 hours to a charge, which is pretty good).

I just have a question... What is up with the bookmarks bar? Why must Apple do everything in their own way? Why would you click on bookmarks to then click on ANOTHER link for bookmarks?!

It's a minor pet peeve compared to how much better the newest Safari is to Chrome (Yes, even with multiple tabs up, which I always have!), but I still must know.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
I've switched to using Safari for... Well I've never really used it except on a G4 and on ipad... I've always used either chrome or IE.

I tried Safari on my 13" retina macbook pro, and yes, the newest version DOES use less memory, saves battery life, and surfs the web much noticeably smoother (I am now getting over 7 hours to a charge, which is pretty good).

I just have a question... What is up with the bookmarks bar? Why must Apple do everything in their own way? Why would you click on bookmarks to then click on ANOTHER link for bookmarks?!

It's a minor pet peeve compared to how much better the newest Safari is to Chrome (Yes, even with multiple tabs up, which I always have!), but I still must know.

As far as I see it, Safari just asks you whether you want your bookmark right (direct link) in the bookmark bar or in a sub folder (indirect link) or in the bookmark menu. Safari provides with a choice how to arrange your bookmarks. Command+D gets you thee directly.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You have to see it in practice:

tabs.png

For ME, this is absolutely amazing.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
All my bookmarks are in the bookmarks bar or folders within the bookmarks bar.

That way they're visible at all times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.