Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've been wishing to try a full-on Windows 8 or RT tablet since they've launched and was close to buying a Dell XPS 10 RT tablet around a fortnight ago but everyone was out of stock of them.

I could have ordered online but I waited and luckily there was a deal posted on HotUKDeals with 64GB Dell Latitude 10 tablets reduced from over £450 (plus 20% UK VAT) down to just over £267 shipped!

I snapped up a refurb (which arrived in pristine condition) which arrived on Thursday.

What I like:
  • I wasn't a fan at all of Windows 8 on my Desktop PC when I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro on the £25 upgrade offer but my opinions of Windows 8 started to change when my wife bought me an Acer V5 laptop. The Windows 8 gesture support was superb on the trackpad and I found they really added to the Windows 8 experience.
  • On a full-on tablet, Windows 8 really shines IMO and the Gestures that I got used to using on the trackpad are even better on a tablet. Switching apps, using charms and even the Metro start screen are all a pleasure to use on the Dell.
  • Performance on the Intel Atom inside the thing is surprisingly good with apps loading in a snap and animations are smooth in Metro apps. No issues from this perspective.
  • Remote Desktop connection support enables me to control my Desktop on the couch if I ever need to use it. Very handy!
  • Having access to all x86 applications does make the tablet that little more handier and using the machine as a tradtitional laptop/desktop with my old Motorola Xoom keyboard and mouse is great! (see below) going for an RT device like I was originally going to would have likely been a mistake at this point.

img2013071.jpg

• Build quality seems very good. No creeky plastics or wobbly fittings thus far and the screen looks great.
  • Battery life on the Atom seems very good from what I've experienced so far.
  • The way everything syncs across Windows machines now. All of my wallpapers and my lockscreen picture were synced to my new tablet (see my kids playing on one of our iPads on my Dell above) :)
What I dislike:
  • The Windows 8 app store is pretty barren with very few apps that I've found must haves so far. I'm hoping for this to improve over time.
  • It is a lot bulkier compared to my Nexus 7 and Mini (but they are around and under half the size). This is something I'll have to get used to.
  • The Bezel seems rather thick and makes the thumb keyboard a bit of a stretch, even for my large hands.
  • The camera isn't at all good compared to the Mini (not that I was going to be using it as a camera though).
  • The desktop and metro experiences seem a little dis-jointed. The way the keyboard automatically pops up when using a text field on a Metro app but doesn't on the Desktop side takes some getting used to for example.

Overall, it's a very impressive device but it will let down anyone who prefers using apps, apps and more apps to get things done. Having access to legacy x86 applications does fill that void but I do look forward to some more tablet-oriented apps.

I must say I love the thing at the moment and haven't touched the iPad and have only played Kingdom Rush on the Nexus 7 since getting it. Give it a few weeks and that new & shiny feeling may have worn off making me slip back towards my Nexus and iPad..... Maybe! :D

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
My wife bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 8 loaded on it. After a few uses, I'm starting to like it. The build quality of this model Inspiron is much better than previous ones, too.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Very nice, also you kept it realistic with your cons which I agree with. I thought very hard about getting that Dell, but I ended up with the Lenovo thinkpad tablet 2. I think those 2 are pretty much the best of the best with the atom tablets.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Dell definitely have done well with the build quality here sk1wbw and Windows 8 is definitely a grower!

Spinedoc77, the cons are not too big thankfully. I'll check out the Lenovo. The good thing is spec wise, the atom tablets are all at pretty much parity with only internal storage being different from what I've researched.

Something positive I forgot, MULTIPLE USER ACCOUNTS! :D (Yes, this is on Android but still.....)

My wife & daughter are both set up on here with their own settings too. My wife can do all of her Office based shenanigans on here and my girl can play on Club Penguin and Moshi Monsters and keep all of their stuff separate. Fantastic!

EDIT: Damn that Lenovo looks nice Spinedoc77.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Dell definitely have done well with the build quality here sk1wbw and Windows 8 is definitely a grower!

Spinedoc77, the cons are not too big thankfully. I'll check out the Lenovo. The good thing is spec wise, the atom tablets are all at pretty much parity with only internal storage being different from what I've researched.

Something positive I forgot, MULTIPLE USER ACCOUNTS! :D (Yes, this is on Android but still.....)

My wife & daughter are both set up on here with their own settings too. My wife can do all of her Office based shenanigans on here and my girl can play on Club Penguin and Moshi Monsters and keep all of their stuff separate. Fantastic!

EDIT: Damn that Lenovo looks nice Spinedoc77.

The Lenovo is pretty insane, it's such an incredible feeling to not have to compromise with a toy OS anymore. As you said the specs are pretty much the same with all the atom tablets. The Dell is nice with the removable battery though, and they have great support.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I found an old pen from an old HP TC1100 Tablet PC and I'm pleased to say it works with the Wacom digitizer in the Dell.

Works wonderfully with the Fresh Paint app. My Daughter has been playing on it a lot since I discovered it works. :D

All going well so far on the thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.