Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jul 13, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
raykay22
macrumors newbie

Interview mics

I interview and record people's life stories. I have an Air, which I love, and am seeking advice in purchasing 3 clip-on mics and an audio interface. Does anyone have any direct experience with this set-up? Which mics/interface would be best for this situation? Budget limited to approximately $200. Thanks.
raykay22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay22 View Post
I interview and record people's life stories. I have an Air, which I love, and am seeking advice in purchasing 3 clip-on mics and an audio interface. Does anyone have any direct experience with this set-up? Which mics/interface would be best for this situation? Budget limited to approximately $200. Thanks.
It will be hard, no impossible to buy three microphones and an auto interface for $200 total. The budget is unrealistic.

A decent audio interface with four mic inputs will cost over $200.

One other thing, Ar you shooting video or is this just audio? If there is no video that why use the smaller microphones?
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

I have been using an Akai EIE Pro 24 bit 4 channel interface with my MacBook Air and have been happy with it. But it cost $250. They make a similar product that only records in 16 bit for about $150 and it might be good enough: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-Pro...60-i1826039.gc

But the $45 you have left isn't going to get you very far with microphones and cables....

If you could scale back to two microphones you might come a little closer to your budget. I also have one of these and it's fine. Also has the advantage of being USB powered so no "brick" is needed: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-i...80-i1533961.gc

That would leave $125 for the mics and cables. I still doubt that you could do it for $200 though. You definitely need a bigger budget.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:45 AM   #4
localoid
macrumors 68020

It wouldn't be a high-end solution (by today's standards), but since you set a $200 budget, you could check out the Alesis iO4 4-Channel, recording interface, which can usually be found for around $100 online.

Add some inexpensive lavalier/lapel microphones and cables and you'd still come in under budget.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:04 PM   #5
nneufeld
macrumors newbie

Question:

Is the interview audio your finished product or simply a means to an end (i.e. is it reference material with which you write a story or something)? What I'm really asking is if high quality audio is particularly important or if a solution that simply provides acceptable intelligibility is good enough.

If the finished product is just the audio recording, then the previous posters are quite right: your budget is insufficient. Like ChrisA mentioned, I would highly recommend against lavalier-style microphones unless they're entirely needed.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio