Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
I hope there isn't another thread about this same topic. I looked and couldn't find one.

I have a new MacBook Air with Mountain Lion. If I install the beta, and I'm tolerant of some bugs, will I still be able to do most everything I can do now? I want to download Xcode 5 and start learning to develop (with the latest tools) for iOS. I don't depend on this new laptop for work/school but I have been using it with AirPlay to my Apple TV. Will that still work do you think? AS a beta I don't expect everything to be finished and bug free of course.

Thanks for your opinions.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I use Xcode and a whole host of other apps like it on my Macbook Pro(in my sig). As of DP3, the only bug I have noticed ever is that if your display sleeps and you immediately wake it right when it turns off then the screen comes on black just showing the cursor. A simple Ctrl-Shift-Esc and then tapping the spacebar brings the screen right back to normal though.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I would not install a beta OS on a "real" machine. If you are installing it on a spare machine, an external disk, etc, then you are fine. If you are thinking of upgrading to Mavericks and relying on it for everyday use, I would recommend against it, no matter how stable it seems to users on MR forums. I have Mavericks on my 15in MBP on an external drive I can boot from when I want to test it.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There is only one reason to install Mavericks currently: to help Apple and third-party developers to identify problems, report bugs and crashes, and to suggest enhancements to new features.

It is on these terms that Apple lets you use it.

If you want to learn Xcode programming for iOS 7, then really the OS X version is irrelevant at this stage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.