Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
vjaaan
macrumors regular

Playing movie made in Pinnacle

I made a home movie years ago on my Dell PC using Pinnacle Studio. I just tried playing the DVD on my MacBook Pro and it won't run. I got a message about needed a component to play Mpeg2 movies.

When looking at the disc, I see the movie is made up of a number of files (e.g., VOB). I'm sure one of the files has the commands for running all the parts. I mention this because this home movie is not just a single mpeg2 file.

Will that $20 component for playing mpeg2s be all that I need to watch this movie on my mac? Also, I have not upgraded to Mountain Lion yet. I could do this now if this needed component is already a part of Mountain Lion.

Thanks.
vjaaan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2
nneufeld
macrumors newbie

Have you tried playing a professionally produced DVD with your system?

Keep in mind, you won't be able to execute ("open") a DVD like you would a regular movie file (.MOV, .MPG, etc) without special software. Using the application "DVD Player" that should have come with your computer aught to allow you to watch your DVD just like you would on a TV. While VOB encodes on the MPEG2 standard, this shouldn't require any further plugins/components.

In order to turn your DVD into a video file, you'll need what's known as "DVD Ripping" software. I won't make any recommendations due to both a lack of personal knowledge and the fact that they tend to be sketchy freeware stuff.

Hope this helps!
nneufeld is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video