Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm just wondering the difference.

I've had iTunes since version 2.0 installed on every Mac I've had or used. iTunes 2.0 was on OS9 for me and it introduced me to streaming internet radio. It's there in the sidebar. It says Radio and you can connect to any live internet station in the list.

Live 365, SOMA FM and a bunch of other radio stations were there long before Pandora and way before Apple ever decided to do this "new" iTunes Radio thing.

So, what I want to know is, considering I have PowerPC Macs that cannot run the latest iTunes, what's the difference between the radio that's been available since at least 2000 in iTunes and the "new" iTunes Radio.

Other than the fact that it's just Apple that's doing the streaming…

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I'm just wondering the difference.

I've had iTunes since version 2.0 installed on every Mac I've had or used. iTunes 2.0 was on OS9 for me and it introduced me to streaming internet radio. It's there in the sidebar. It says Radio and you can connect to any live internet station in the list.

Live 365, SOMA FM and a bunch of other radio stations were there long before Pandora and way before Apple ever decided to do this "new" iTunes Radio thing.

So, what I want to know is, considering I have PowerPC Macs that cannot run the latest iTunes, what's the difference between the radio that's been available since at least 2000 in iTunes and the "new" iTunes Radio.

Other than the fact that it's just Apple that's doing the streaming…

The "new" iTunes Radio is similar to Pandora Radio. You can create stations based on your favorite song or artist, but you still get ads like an actual broadcast radio station.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The "new" iTunes Radio is similar to Pandora Radio. You can create stations based on your favorite song or artist, but you still get ads like an actual broadcast radio station.
Thanks. I actually stream stations like Drone Zone (SOMA FM) and such much more in iTunes using the "old" way than I actually listen to Pandora, so this is kind of a non-event to me. I may not be able to skip or create a station, but I get no ads. And it's mostly what I want to hear.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

I was wondering the difference between iTunes Radio in iTunes vs iTunes Radio on the iPhone.
Thanks for that information. No clue why I didn't see that before.
Oh I know why now, I didn't care. lol ;)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I was wondering the difference between iTunes Radio in iTunes vs iTunes Radio on the iPhone.
Thanks for that information. No clue why I didn't see that before.
Oh I know why now, I didn't care. lol ;)
Yeah…this is kind of why I was asking the question.

Streaming internet radio without ads has been around for at least 13 years in iTunes, if not more. Streaming internet radio was around before Pandora made it possible to create stations.

And now Apple has cut deals and is trying to make this look like it's brand new.

I stream internet radio in iTunes using the built in feature far more than I listen to Pandora. So this is really a non-event to me.

But I wanted to ask the question just to see if there was something great I might be missing.

I guess not.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I stream internet radio in iTunes using the built in feature far more than I listen to Pandora. So this is really a non-event to me.

But I wanted to ask the question just to see if there was something great I might be missing.

I guess not.

Yeah, same here. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably use it. But what I'm wondering about, is why would anyone use it over pandora or spotify?
I use pandora somewhat, but mostly I make my own playlists of music I already have. No commercials ever.
Eh, guess we'll see soon enough.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Yeah…this is kind of why I was asking the question.

Streaming internet radio without ads has been around for at least 13 years in iTunes, if not more. Streaming internet radio was around before Pandora made it possible to create stations.

And now Apple has cut deals and is trying to make this look like it's brand new.

I guess not.

I always thought the "older" iTunes Radio on OSX, etc was the standard streaming Radio Stations by different providers.

And the new iTunes Radio (in iOS) is actually an instant stream created using all tracks from within Apple's music db

Dont know but I think thats the difference

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I always thought the "older" iTunes Radio on OSX, etc was the standard streaming Radio Stations by different providers.
Yes. Without ads (generally, depending on station).

And the new iTunes Radio (in iOS) is actually an instant stream created using all tracks from within Apple's music db
Yes, but with ads. Unless you are a Match subscriber.

Dont know but I think thats the difference
Yep, that's the difference. Which is not appealing to me, but will be to others. As I've stated previously, my use of Pandora (which is exactly the same as the "new" iTunes Radio) is limited. Generally if I want to listen to something like that I'll stream internet radio using iTunes and most of the time it's the stations from SOMA FM.

But for others this means freedom from Pandora and an Apple experience. I hope Apple does it right.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Yes. Without ads (generally, depending on station).

Yes, but with ads. Unless you are a Match subscriber.

Yep, that's the difference. Which is not appealing to me, but will be to others. As I've stated previously, my use of Pandora (which is exactly the same as the "new" iTunes Radio) is limited. Generally if I want to listen to something like that I'll stream internet radio using iTunes and most of the time it's the stations from SOMA FM.

But for others this means freedom from Pandora and an Apple experience. I hope Apple does it right.

Nope not what I am saying ... the older radio in the desktop iTunes has stations from people/companies (not Apple's own)... you could submit your own station for listing there (http://forum.streamlicensing.com/index.php?topic=57.0)

The new Radio is all about Apple and their own Music Collection (not 3rd party streams!)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.