Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to buy an ipad for student use in my high school biology classes next year. Which do you think would be the best bet?

Ipad mini costs less, but would more usable space be important?

I like the mini for my uses, but wanted some feedback.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Mini would be great. Smaller, more travel-savvy. Get a keyboard with it and it's all they need.

I use a Mini for work and it works great. The only thing I'd look for is if they have big fingers and would have issues with typing on the smaller keys of a Mini keyboard.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Another one for the Mini! Just got one myself and I bring it to my lectures everyday. 16GB would probably be enough for school-related purposes, but if you need to load your music/movies/games then opt for the 32GB.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Since you plan to buy an iPad mini next year so you can buy 2nd gen or 3rd gen iPad mini with retina. If you plan to keep an iPad mini for a long time then I would suggest to buy 32GB not 16GB…it has no room for future needs. :apple:

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Since you plan to buy an iPad mini next year so you can buy 2nd gen or 3rd gen iPad mini with retina. If you plan to keep an iPad mini for a long time then I would suggest to buy 32GB not 16GB…it has no room for future needs. :apple:

He wants to buy it for next year for a school. The school year starts in August/September, so that school year will actually start months before the Retina Mini comes out. I don't really see what difference a Retina screen will do him if he's just using it in a classroom. The current Mini will be more than enough for him.

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
My only thought towards an ipad mini 2 was longerivity in terms of use. For current uses - as well as those I could imagine - ipad mini does the job. Real estate space was one of my biggest concerns. If it is always going to be sitting in the same room... I thought a full size ipad may have its merits.

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
I'm a current graduate student

And have used a full sized iPad since its debut in 2010. It has been an incredible asset to my studies--even for the ability to deal with PDFs alone--and I've bought each successive new model (except for the fourth generation) and will continue to do so.

There is no way in hell you could convince me to go with the mini (although it clearly works for some) because the size of the 9.7 screen allows me to read, annotate, take notes, and even create/edit documents when necessary without much constraint. The mini, however, would never suffice for me personally.

My advice to you is to purchase a refurbished 3rd generation iPad from the Apple Store, because the retina display has made worlds of difference for me in terms of reading clarity and eye strain. This is just my 2 cents worth, of course, and I wish you much luck and success with your studies, regardless!

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Just the fact that I have an ipad mini leans me towards a full size... Just for my own sake.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If the iPad isn't going to be traveling much and you're leaning away from the mini, get the 4. Sounds like it's what you really want deep down.

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I'm just torn bccost... Size...longevity of device... Usability. So many considerations

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
If you want to pack light and nearly have a laptop with you at all times then a bluetooth keyboard with a iPad mini is perfect for traveling if you have to fire off a quick email if you need too or type something out.I am always using mine when i am out and about some where it always goes with me just in case i have to do something on the move and the keyboard is a great addition to it all to make your life a bit more easier for when typing

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just the fact that I have an ipad mini leans me towards a full size... Just for my own sake.

If you already have a mini use it, then when the next models come out in the late fall you can consider moving up. Give you more time to save up money.

About the only reason to get an iPad right now would be the whole BTS gift card, if you can even get it as a high school kid. But it's a lot of money to spend for a $50 card.

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
My mini has access to my grade book and tests...as well as personal information. I can't give over access to mine.

I'm just looking for a student specific one. I'm tempted to wait for next gen... So tough a decision.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I'm going to buy an ipad for student use in my high school biology classes next year. Which do you think would be the best bet?

Ipad mini costs less, but would more usable space be important?

I like the mini for my uses, but wanted some feedback.

In my college years ive used the iPad1, the iPad3, and the iPad mini. From my experience, the mini is the best. Easier to carry around and takes less space on my desk.

Due note to keep an eye on the mini, its small and would be easy for one of the students to sneak out with.

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
I've also been considering locking it down to something heavy. I work with a great group of kids, but you just never know.

BerlingerT

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
Amelia, Ohio
Thinking about it, I am thinking more for a full sized iPad. This is only if you have a keyboard peripheral with it. Some people have a very hard time typing on tiny keyboards.

Monkt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Image ill just see how much discretionary cash I have the next time I head to an apple store. That would make it easy :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.