Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Maybe someone can help me out.
I recently deleted over 50 GB of QuickTime files off of my Mac. However, I have not received any of that drive space back, even after restarting a few times over the last week. Is there any way I can get this space back that wouldn't require me to format my drive and migrate my data back onto it? Any suggestions???

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Maybe it has to do with TimeMachine, if you have it enabled, as I understand it creates local backups that are "hidden" and occupy some significant space.
There are ways to disable that, but I am not the right Time Machine user to tell you more about it, as I don't use it.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Maybe it has to do with TimeMachine, if you have it enabled, as I understand it creates local backups that are "hidden" and occupy some significant space.
There are ways to disable that, but I am not the right Time Machine user to tell you more about it, as I don't use it.

That was a good idea, I didn't even think of that. However, the local snapshots are off. Thanks for that recommendation!
Screen%20Shot%202013-07-14%20at%205.25.21%20PM.png

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
You are welcome!
Now I recall something like this had happened to me before.
If I recall correctly OS X does some maintenance tasks in the background and and it might had not done them yet.
There are some terminal commands that help to run the maintenance tasks, the thing is I don't remember those...

Some other commands that can help you compare with the Finder info:
http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_managing_disk_space

Also, have you done a Disk Utility check and permissions repair?

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
This is another way to look at it. Note how there is a 50 GB difference in this screenshot.

Screen%20Shot%202013-07-14%20at%206.42.50%20PM.png

----------

Try some of these:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

WOW...mine had not done the monthly maintenance since March...now it's done.

Anyone knows a what exactly is accomplished with these routine of maintenance, besides the disk free space?

Alright, I'll give those a shot!

----------

Try some of these:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintscripts.html

WOW...mine had not done the monthly maintenance since March...now it's done.

Anyone knows a what exactly is accomplished with these routine of maintenance, besides the disk free space?

Shoot! I was hoping it would work. It said they ran recently, but I ran them again, just in case. No luck. Thanks anyway!

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
Maybe someone can help me out.
I recently deleted over 50 GB of QuickTime files off of my Mac. However, I have not received any of that drive space back, even after restarting a few times over the last week. Is there any way I can get this space back that wouldn't require me to format my drive and migrate my data back onto it? Any suggestions???

Try running disk repair in the disk util in recovery drive.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
You are checking "free space" wrong.

Stop looking in about this mac - look at get info on your drive instead.

About this mac includes time machien local backups, which will be REMOVED if needed when you are running out of space.

The difference between the sum of file sizes and the amount of disk used is because some files will consume parts of a disk block, but a block can only be used by one file at a time.

e.g., if you have 4k blocks and a 2k file, 2k is wasted.

its the way filesystems work - and is the same on Linux, OS X, Windows, etc.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Had the same problem on my iMac. Turns out it was Time Machine local snapshots even though Time Machine was off and it's not supposed to create local snapshots on desktops. They also appeared under 'Other' and not 'Backups' like in your screenshot.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This is another way to look at it. Note how there is a 50 GB difference in this screenshot.

It appears the local backups are still there, even though not listed in the purple Backups section you posted above. Other forums members have had this happen also.

Run the Terminal command below to see if there are still files in the local backups section. You will need to enter your admin PW.

Turn off TM first.

Code:
sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I just bit the bullet and had Time Machine restore the system. It worked! I gained over 65 GB of space back! I wonder what was really causing it in the first place...

----------

It appears the local backups are still there, even though not listed in the purple Backups section you posted above. Other forums members have had this happen also.

Run the Terminal command below to see if there are still files in the local backups section. You will need to enter your admin PW.

Turn off TM first.

Code:
sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future reference.

Hildron101010

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Had the same problem on my iMac. Turns out it was Time Machine local snapshots even though Time Machine was off and it's not supposed to create local snapshots on desktops. They also appeared under 'Other' and not 'Backups' like in your screenshot.

That is weird...
I'm not sure if mine was the same situation, but I'll keep that in mind. Typically, when Automatic Backups is off, the system shouldn't store local snapshots. I believe there is a Terminal command to override it, just in case. Thanks for your post!

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012

How did you fix it? I have this same problem, I turned off Time Machine and used that terminal command months ago when I first got my Mac because I had no intention of ever using it. But when I check my space like 60 GB are filled by "Other".

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
How did you fix it? I have this same problem, I turned off Time Machine and used that terminal command months ago when I first got my Mac because I had no intention of ever using it. But when I check my space like 60 GB are filled by "Other".

I enabled Time Machine, selected a backup disk, disabled it and deleted the backup disk. Do you see MobileBackups in /Volumes?

larry918

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
It may be news to many people that emptying the trash doesn't actually clear up much space. Go to Finder > Preferences > Advanced > Empty Trash Securely. This will delete files more thoroughly and bring back the harddrive space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.