Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cneedelman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I have an '08 MBP running Snow Leopard. I'd like to use a usb 3.0 external HD for quicker transfers. Searching for an express card to USB 3.0 adaptor, and finding some older info that some of the adaptors don't work. Looking for a recommendation on one that will, hopefully.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I have an '08 MBP running Snow Leopard. I'd like to use a usb 3.0 external HD for quicker transfers. Searching for an express card to USB 3.0 adaptor, and finding some older info that some of the adaptors don't work. Looking for a recommendation on one that will, hopefully.

I have one of the cheap Dual port USB 3 adapters from Amazon. From what I tested, transfer speeds were faster using it (went from 30 to 50mbps from what I remember [I remembered wrong, it jumped to 100+]). However I was not able to replicate the installation on a separate computer, so I am not sure if it would work again.

Here is the forum thread about it...

Hope it helps!

cneedelman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
Caldigit Express card to USB 3.0

After a little more research I found a Caldigit that will work with OSX. They developed the drivers. It's a bit pricey at $89, tho.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
After a little more research I found a Caldigit that will work with OSX. They developed the drivers. It's a bit pricey at $89, tho.

I believe I used those caldigit drivers with that cheap amazon one and I'm not sure if it worked. But for $10, this (the one I use) might be worth a shot. It worked for me!

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Which driver did you use?

On the driver reviews people say they used "MultiBeast USB 3.0 driver per Richard Bateman's instructions". I used a different driver (I tried the caldigit ones and something else that I can't remember). But that driver is new so I think it would work better than my frankenstein solution. :D

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I bought the GYMLE Expresscard to USB3 for 10 bucks.
Installed the tonymacx86 drivers and havent had a problem.

I ordered this just now! Thanks for the tip.

Sucha good price.

However, with my luck it will cease to work with Mavericks :rolleyes:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I ordered this just now! Thanks for the tip.

Sucha good price.

However, with my luck it will cease to work with Mavericks :rolleyes:

I had Lion when I first got it and it still worked in ML.
Even after the 8.3 and 8.4 update so Im hoping it will be the same with Maverick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.