Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:17 PM   #1
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
$300,000,000.00 Christmas Powerball Lotto

So the PowerBall Lottery here in DC and several other states is getting quite high - might have to go pay the stupid tax just to get a chance win. The cash option at the current level will pay out, after esitimated taxes, $92 million cash.

But it will probably end up at $350 million by Wednesday - might be a good stocking stuffer.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/12/22/chr....ap/index.html

D
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:59 PM   #2
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
The powerball is my favorite lottery, it can get rediculously high... haven't followed it in a long time, but this is huge...

normally i would say not to waste your money... but the way i look at the lottery is this... SOMEONE has to win, and whoever that is will say "i never thought it could be me!"... well, you bought a ticket, didn't you? No one's harmed by a little fun lotto... now if anyone is inspired by this post, to go play, and you win, i want a little cut. It's only fair...

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:03 PM   #3
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

Damn, the local powerball is only at $215,000,000. It would still be more then sufficent for me
Durandal7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:29 PM   #4
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Re: $300,000,000.00 Christmas Powerball Lotto

Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
The powerball is my favorite lottery, it can get rediculously high... haven't followed it in a long time, but this is huge...

normally i would say not to waste your money... but the way i look at the lottery is this... SOMEONE has to win, and whoever that is will say "i never thought it could be me!"... well, you bought a ticket, didn't you? No one's harmed by a little fun lotto... now if anyone is inspired by this post, to go play, and you win, i want a little cut. It's only fair...

pnw
Sure if you want to give me the winning numbers before the close of ticket sales of Wed.

Hopefully it's not a PC user that wins, I'd hate to see someone squander the winnings on Wintel equipment.

And it's only $280 million dollars right now. Don't expect a huge pop in the number if it rolls over.

The new changes enacted recently - October 6, 2002.

Besides the pick 5 numbers from a pool (1 to 53) and 1 for the powerball (1 to 42), the Match 5 Bonus Prize - this is 5 white balls from the (1 to 53) - is all new.

The Match 5 caps the increase in the Powerball jackpot to $25 million per rollover in record territory - anything above that get split amongst the days $100k winners as the Match 5 Bonus Prize, when there is a Powerball winner.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Dec 22, 2002 at 11:33 PM.
Sun Baked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 01:40 AM   #5
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
Someone call Ms. Cleo. Incldently, my old HS principal and good friend's father is the guy who picks the Powerball numbers here in iowa... Billicus, have you met him?

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 08:42 AM   #6
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Yeah I heard about this last night. Pretty damn big.

Although a year or two ago it was much higher. The New England Powerball was up to around a few billion. I'm not kidding. What happened was a whole bunch of people won, and each received $22.7 million (I think that was the number).

Earlier this year there was a huge lottery (I think New Jersey lottery) at mid 8 or 9 digits, and people were going nuts about it. Outside of my classroom, I overheard my Spanish 3 teacher talking about spending $50 worth of lotto tickets.

I can't imagine what people must be doing this time around. Not to mention that some of the roads at Paramus N.Y. had to be closed off, because of the last minute rush.
King Cobra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 06:40 PM   #7
wdlove
macrumors 604

The odds are so great that you would have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. In the end you can't win if you don't play. As said before somone has to win, hopefully a switcher!
Old Dec 24, 2002, 09:47 PM   #8
bombensington
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Someone call Ms. Cleo. Incldently, my old HS principal and good friend's father is the guy who picks the Powerball numbers here in iowa... Billicus, have you met him?

pnw
do you mean local celeb mike pace?
bombensington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 09:55 PM   #9
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Quote:
Originally posted by wdlove
The odds are so great that you would have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. In the end you can't win if you don't play. As said before somone has to win, hopefully a switcher!
Ha if I win, well, there'd be a whole lot of switching going on.....but it truly is a silly amount of money and hard to really grasp. You could spend it, but it would be difficult to do so quickly.

And as for odds - well, it only takes one ticket and for me its a matter of fate at this level of probability.

Good luck all,

D

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events