Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyyt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
ive been looking in buying a display for my rmbp 15. i tend to play alot of games and movies at home so i want something bigger. the 15 is good for on the go but at home, it tends to get small at times

im fairly new to macs so whats good about the apple cinema displays? they seem to be priced aloooot higher than other display brands like samsung or LG. is there a reason for this?

if i were to go with apple (ive developed a soft spot for apple products), what would be the difference in the newer and older cinema displays?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
What is your budget? Higher end dell/Samsung etc. can compete with apple TBD at a much more reasonable price point. The real difference is the TBD has the laptop charging and docking, but any brand display would work fine.

johnnyyt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
What is your budget? Higher end dell/Samsung etc. can compete with apple TBD at a much more reasonable price point. The real difference is the TBD has the laptop charging and docking, but any brand display would work fine.

I don't have a budget really.. I want to save money of course but if it means spending more money for a better display then sure.

Are there any advantages to apple displays at all?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I don't have a budget really.. I want to save money of course but if it means spending more money for a better display then sure.

Are there any advantages to apple displays at all?

Besides the mac specific docking I mentioned and aesthetics, not really. IIRC, the TBD panels are the same ones used in Dell Ultra-sharps. This model http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-...id=1373925431&sr=8-4&keywords=dell+ultrasharp seems like a good deal compared to the TBD. If you look smaller there are some nice 24" monitors in the $200-350 range http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSha...id=1373925824&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+ultrasharp Don't get me wrong, Apple displays are nice, but overpriced IMO. If you are looking at a 2560x1440 monitor I recommend finding one with with displayport input, since thunderbolt to Dual-link DVI adapters are fairly expensive.

cxc273

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
The nice thing about Apple's Thunderbolt displays is the connectivity options -- Ethernet, Firewire, USB, Thunderbolt. On top of that, the display can charge an Apple MacBook.

The USB, unfortunately, is still 2 and not 3.

I've got one and I really love it, but for me, it serves as a big desktop monitor for writing and design.

If you're looking for a display for gaming and movies, you can use that cost for a pretty decent sized TV -- you can use the HDMI out on your machine for the display.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The Apple TBD is great for text and graphics, if you like a gloss screen, which photo editors need.

For movies, HDMI to a large TV may be better, but then you probably should be thinking apple TV. For games, anything goes. Lots of options. Dell used to be king but their quality control has gone to heck. Several better options. Check some of the Display review sites, perhaps reviews at places like Newegg and amazon..

johnnyyt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
ive been shopping around and i think i've decided on getting an older cinema display. i found the 23" aluminum display for a really great price

in terms of connectivity, how would i get this display to work on my rmbp?
i know it comes with 3 different plugs (usb, firewire, dvi)
am i suppose to connect ALL 3 into my rmbp in order for the display to work?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
ive been shopping around and i think i've decided on getting an older cinema display. i found the 23" aluminum display for a really great price

in terms of connectivity, how would i get this display to work on my rmbp?
i know it comes with 3 different plugs (usb, firewire, dvi)
am i suppose to connect ALL 3 into my rmbp in order for the display to work?

There is a FireWire and USB hub on the display, so you do not need them to make the display work. You need a mini displayport to DVI adapter http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/B/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=5b

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
How important are the movies?
If you really like a good movie watch, remember that 95% of the LCD screens runs at either 60fps, 60fps or 60fps. Not the preferred choice for movies that run at 23.976fps. The mentioned Dell U2713HM is one of the few that handles 24p (23.976) content without judder. I use a 27 inch Acer PVA (rare EU model) that works at 47.952 (double or triple frequency is also OK, some screens dont work on 24fps, but do work at 72 fps), 50 and 60Hz, and that is awesome: judder free movies for PAL, NTSC and cinema films. Test 23.976, 47.952 and 71.928Hz with SwitchResX on some screens with friends/work to check this.

----------

im picking a 23" ACD (aluminum) for $150. i know i'll be taking a risk going with an older display but it just looks so much better than the ultrasharps :D
OMG, don't care about looks. You forget about it after one day. The 23 inch might still look awesome, it's image is most probably dreadful after those years. I've seen backlights from old ACD's that make your room look like a whorehouse.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I suggest picking up a 24'' Dell Ultrasharp. Very high quality and cheaper than a 23'' ACD which you would purchase used.

The quality control on the Dells has taken a dump lately. If you get one make sure there is easy exchanges/returns as you may need to go through a couple to find a good one. There may be better monitors.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
omg, don't care about looks. You forget about it after one day. The 23 inch might still look awesome, it's image is most probably dreadful after those years. I've seen backlights from old acd's that make your room look like a whorehouse.

+1. While the reference is a little weird I really hope the OP meant aesthetic looks, because the modern displays have way better technology. The ultrasharp has 2.5x the contrast ratio (way more if you count dynamic) half the response time, greater brightness and viewing angle, lower power consumption...need I go on?

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I have two Dells. One 30 inch, and another 24 inch. Both are working just fine, no issues. Dell's return policy within the 14 day return policy will be for a new monitor. I opted for a 4 yr warranty, and have heard from a few that the warranty worked fine. They would however send you a refurbished unit after the first 14 day..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.