Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's management shuffle at Microsoft, the company's Surface team has taken over testing its prototype smart watch, including variations with the same connector that Microsoft uses on its Surface tablets. According to The Verge, Microsoft's smart watch prototypes were previously tested by the Xbox accessories team.
The move to the Surface group underlines a recent organizational change at Microsoft that aligns Xbox hardware and Surface hardware into a single division, with former Windows chief Julie Larson-Green now responsible for all of Microsoft's hardware efforts.
msftsmartwatch.jpg
Microsoft Smart Watch Concept via Fortune.com
In addition to a potential Surface connector that could allow a smart watch to interface with existing Surface tablets, Microsoft is also said to be testing smart watches that have 1 1.5-inch display, a heart rate monitor, and are running a modified version of Windows 8.

As Microsoft experiments with its smart watch, it appears Apple is in the prototype stages as well. According to a report yesterday, Apple has begun "aggressively" hiring new employees to help with the smart watch, which is now expected to be released in late 2014. Apple's own smart watch is expected to run the full version of iOS and could include a heavy focus on biometrics and health related applications.

Along with Microsoft and Apple, both Google and Samsung are said to be working on smart watches of their own. At this point in time, it seems all companies are in the testing phases with no indication of which smart watch might hit the market first.

Article Link: Microsoft Shifts Smart Watch Prototype Testing to Surface Hardware Team

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Honestly, if apple announced they were working on a magical iBrick these other companies would start developing one as well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
According to Microsoft fans, a Microsoft watch won't be good unless it's a full computer and runs all Windows programs including Office.
:rolleyes:

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
I hope everyone else releases their smart watches first, so apple can blow them out the water when the time comes :D

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
All this focus on damn watches. I couldn't care less about watches. I wish the tech industry would focus on something else.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
A modified version of windows 8? By the time it's been completely modified to run on your wrist the only thing it will have in common with windows 8 is it's tiles.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
After looking at the photograph, it is clear that the  watch will be much better than the Microsoft one.:D

/bait

I think it could be really interesting to see what all these companies are developing. A ton of companies developing smartwatches in parrallel is much better than Apple releasing an iPhone/iPad and then everybody else rushes to copy. There is a lot more potential for innovation in this space

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I hope everyone else releases their smart watches first, so apple can blow them out the water when the time comes :D

All relative. It's more about seamless integration. And if you're an iOS user - I'm guessing Apple will provide a superior product for iOS users. And conversely - if you're a MS user - then their smartwatch will offer better integration for their ecosystem.

According to Microsoft fans, a Microsoft watch won't be good unless it's a full computer and runs all Windows programs including Office.
:rolleyes:

A lot of people want iOS fully on their wrist. No different. Oh - I get it - this was a jab against Microsoft fans?

Honestly, if apple announced they were working on a magical iBrick these other companies would start developing one as well. :rolleyes:

A lot of companies have been working on smart watches - long before Apple "announced" they were working on one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.