Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Asks Retail Employees for iPhone Sales Advice

Apple has sent out a memo to its international Apple Retail Employees, asking for innovative ideas on how to improve the iPhone, the retail store environment, and company sales techniques. According to 9to5Mac, the message was distributed late last week.

Employees are asked to submit an idea, which will lead to an eight-week experience where selected candidates will interact with members from various Apple departments at the company's Cupertino headquarters, including Marketing, Merchandising, Customer Analytics, Mobile Commerce, and more, in order to "solve problems" related to the way Apple sells and supports its iPhones.

Apple occasionally turns to its Apple retail employees for assistance with various aspects of software development. In late 2012 Apple asked its workers to help improve the Maps app and a number of current employees have been given access to the OS X Mavericks beta for testing purposes.

Earlier this month, several Apple executives including Tim Cook spoke with Apple Retail Store leaders about upcoming iPhone incentive programs and discount strategies aimed at selling more iPhones in-house.

Article Link: Apple Asks Retail Employees for iPhone Sales Advice
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
TennisandMusic

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but doesn't this seem like bad news? This makes it sound like they are totally out of ideas at the top...
TennisandMusic is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:24 PM   #3
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisandMusic View Post
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but doesn't this seem like bad news? This makes it sound like they are totally out of ideas at the top...
Thought the same thing.
gmanist1000 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
This makes it sound like they are totally out of ideas at the top...
there's only so much you can do to a phone.
rgarjr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Fresh1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Thought the same thing.
Yeah, I'm a tad puzzled. There aren't too many innovative things that can surface.
Fresh1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:28 PM   #6
goodcow
macrumors 6502a

Lost without Steve...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #7
greenmeanie
macrumors 6502a

Asking for info from the idiots that work in Apple Stores?
Not good news here.
greenmeanie is online now   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Mr.Dave
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I don't see this as bad thing. Soliciting ideas from more sources like employees makes sense. The more avenues/broader spectrum of ideas coming in can only help. I know a lot of businesses are pushing similar practices such as this - encourage employees to contribute ideas and in some small way shape policy. I don't think think it reflects poorly or that management has "run out of ideas."

edit: I do agree the Apple store employees aren't always the brightest minds, still can't hurt to get feedback from them however.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
Not good news here.
That's completely unnecessary.
Klae17 is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No.

What's wrong with asking the people that sell your product on a daily basis, how they can better improve this product and the selling process?

The smartest man is a man who knows when to ask for help.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:31 PM   #11
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well, they currently are out of executives in charge of retail. Would it be better if Browett were still in charge making these decisions for them?
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:32 PM   #12
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You should work on completing it during work hours on the clock.
I don't get this, when would retail employees have time to do this since they have to sell current products. Lunch breaks?
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #13
BigHonkingDeal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
No.

What's wrong with asking the people that sell your product on a daily basis, how they can better improve this product and the selling process?

The smartest man is a man who knows when to ask for help.
You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.
Steve Jobs
BigHonkingDeal is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
I don't get this, when would retail employees have time to do this since they have to sell current products. Lunch breaks?
They will probably bring in an extra employee per day and maybe give employees allotted time during their shift to complete this, if they wish to do so.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #15
KTF
macrumors regular

that's sad!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:35 PM   #16
rgarjr
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
Maybe at opening/closing time when it's not a zoo in there. :P
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:35 PM   #17
AppleVsAndroid
macrumors member

I do not work for Apple but here is the tip for Tim Cook on iphone sales.

Get CHINA MOBILE deal done which will lead to shortages in iphone availability
AppleVsAndroid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Haha I wondered how long it would take for someone to spin it this way. Why would getting input from retail employees be a bad thing? Leaders aren't the only ones who have good ideas in a company.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
Not good news here.
Wow, really classy there.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:37 PM   #19
BJonson
macrumors 6502a

Seriously? Why not just come to macrumors and read all the complaints. Or they could just make the screen bigger, stick a removable battery in there with a sd card slot and call it the best phone ever. Not so hard. Do it... Do it...
BJonson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #20
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
there's only so much you can do to a phone.
Try telling that to Samsung...

MOAR FEATURES!! USEFUL OR NOT, ADD THEM NOW!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #21
MN7119
macrumors regular

Probably a good way to share requests they get from customers at store. I would imagine that many people that buy iPhones at an Apple Store interact with sales people and mention what they wish was available in the iPhone, etc... I don't see this is only getting ideas from the sales people but a way to funnel customer requests back to Apple.
MN7119 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #22
jafingi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Or Apple simply wants to hear what the customers requests in the store. The retail employees would be the best ones to answer that.
jafingi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:40 PM   #23
alent1234
macrumors 603

make the checkout easier. as of now everywhere you buy a cell phone you have to wait around until they activate you in the carrier's system.

why not authorize your card for $700 and then only charge $199 after you activate it yourself at home. that will free up a lot of people from doing simple data entry work

if i preorder an iphone to pick up at store, don't keep me waiting while you find it in the back. meanwhile there is a whole pile of phones sitting on the shelf. give me one of those.

sometimes it seems that apple's backend systems are so far behind everyone else its like they aren't even using computers
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:41 PM   #24
daneoni
macrumors G4

They aren't doing this because they have trouble selling iPhones in general. They're doing this because majority of iPhones are sold by Carrier Stores instead Apple stores. That in itself isn't a failing on Apple's part but rather general consumer associations; "if you want to buy a Mac go to an Apple store, if you want to buy an iPhone go to your local Carrier Store".

But of course everyone will jump of the "Steve Jobs is dead so they're out of ideas" train
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:41 PM   #25
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Haha I wondered how long it would take for someone to spin it this way. Why would getting input from retail employees be a bad thing? Leaders aren't the only ones who have good ideas in a company.
And, sometimes the leaders are the ones who don't have the good ideas.

I've worked in too many places where the leaders think they're too good to ask the "lower" employees for ideas and those employees mistakenly believe that they aren't creative.
mrgraff is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion