Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

is there a way to fix this? My rMBP gets crazy hot and the fans kick in and go around 5k when I just watch simple 10mins flash video. I understand that flash is not optimised that well on OS X but this is Apple's flagship computer. I mean, just a simple video gets it act crazy. IS that normal?
I'm watching this video for example
http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/lesson/fibermesh/
within 2 mins of watching fullscreen I get these stats (pic attachment).
If I pause the video it goes back to normal (fans around 2k)

Is there a way to tweak it? The fans are so loud that the watching is not enjoyable and the computer is very hot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 19.55.28.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 19.55.28.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 143

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
The only way to keep temps low is to ensure adequate ventilation and cool room temperatures. Ensure no other app is running. if you have two gpus try to use the intel gpu using a software gfxcardstatus. Your fans are going up cause the gpu is getting warm. left fan cools the gpu but both fans can help get temps down faster. CPu temp seems to be fine.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
The only way to keep temps low is to ensure adequate ventilation and cool room temperatures. Ensure no other app is running. if you have two gpus try to use the intel gpu using a software gfxcardstatus. Your fans are going up cause the gpu is getting warm. left fan cools the gpu but both fans can help get temps down faster. CPu temp seems to be fine.

I have the rMBP on a stand that is flat and only covers around 60% of the bottom so the heat on those uncovered sides can get out even better. I also have automatic GPU switching so I don't understand what benefit I would get from the intel gpu?

Could you please try to run the video and let me know if you get similar stats? I mean my room is not hot at all and everything is normal :)

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I have the rMBP on a stand that is flat and only covers around 60% of the bottom so the heat on those uncovered sides can get out even better. I also have automatic GPU switching so I don't understand what benefit I would get from the intel gpu?

Could you please try to run the video and let me know if you get similar stats? I mean my room is not hot at all and everything is normal :)

The MBPR draws air from the bottom left and right sides (near the palmrest) and exhausts air at the screen hinge. Don't block the air intakes, is all.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
The MBPR draws air from the bottom left and right sides (near the palmrest) and exhausts air at the screen hinge. Don't block the air intakes, is all.

I'm not blocking anything at all. I know where those are and have those basically in the air for the best circulation.
I'm on the latest 10.8.4 and it makes no difference if I use Safari or Chrome :(

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I think your Mac finds Flash is sexy.

hahhahahahaha, that made me laugh :)))
Anyway, my flash is up to date and if others are not having the same issue then I don't know what else to do. I checked my permission and cleaned stuff with OnyX and Clean my Mac but it still doing it. I also reseted PRAM etc but no success.
Ever since that stupid patch its a bit hot :( (the one that was meant to address the heat)

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
well i have just watched the video on both the intel and Nvidia graphics card shows that the nvidia taxes my cpu a bit more and generates more heat. I played the video 2-3 times on each gpu continuously here's pics of my temps. My room temperature is 26c
The intel Gpu
Screen Shot 2013-07-16 at 2.35.06 AM.png

The nvidia gpu
Screen Shot 2013-07-16 at 2.37.51 AM.png

I must say though my fans shoot up while rendering, i find it much less noisier then the cMbps i had before the fans would be make that silent noise like a jet which was annoying, this one just has a whoosh. I feel apple did a good job with the cooling system but i find the air is pulled in from the ports, you can feel it when the fans are on full blast.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Which video is it exactly? Because the one you posted is only 30 seconds long.. how can you watch it for 2 minutes straight? Are you looping it? I wouldn't mind trying.

I recently opened up my 1 year old rMBP and cleaned the dust out and swapped the thermal paste. Getting somewhat cooler temperatures but not as much of a difference as I was expecting. My room temps are almost the same as yours (27ºC right now) so I'd like to test it and let you know the results.

angelus01

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Which video is it exactly? Because the one you posted is only 30 seconds long.. how can you watch it for 2 minutes straight? Are you looping it? I wouldn't mind trying.

I recently opened up my 1 year old rMBP and cleaned the dust out and swapped the thermal paste. Getting somewhat cooler temperatures but not as much of a difference as I was expecting. My room temps are almost the same as yours (27ºC right now) so I'd like to test it and let you know the results.

Video - FiberMesh Basics lol

IC3D

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Fairfield County, CT
I normally run around anywhere from 153 degrees to 160 degrees fahrenheit. Much cooler than my previous MBP 17", which would run close to 190 degrees. :eek:

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
I wonder if the Retina resolution contributes to this (does it treat Flash like it does images?), because I am just not seeing this with my rMBP hooked up to an external 23". I don't hear the fans at all. Flash 11.8.800.94, Safari 7.0, 10.9 DP3, rMBP 15" e2013.

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2013-07-16 kello 8.53.52.png
    Näyttökuva 2013-07-16 kello 8.53.52.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 111

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
actually my retina stays cool i dont even hear the fans spin unless i switch to nvidia graphics. But still the heat can not be compared to my cMBP. I just got my replacement mid2012 13" and ran that video. cpu was showing temps at 98c:eek:

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
ok, thank you guys.
I've actually done some elimination process and found few interesting things + the root of the problem.
1) when i watch it in a window it works fine. Minor temp increase and fan increase but still way below 3k
2) when i watch it in full screen, temp and fan go crazy as on the picture i posted in the first post
3) when I go to my display setting and change the resolution back to "best for retina" then it all works fine. Full screen or window, things are absolutely ok.

So my question is, is there a way to have the resolution 1650x1080 without having this issue or is that scaling something that will always cause trouble?
Thank you guys for the help so far

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
i use the 1680x1050 scaled resolution the best for retina doesn't seem to gel much with me. However flash does make macs warm up alot.
On a lighter note we can play flash vids in winter and be warmed up:D

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
FYI...
today i'm using thunderbolt -> ethernet
because retina doesn't have port LAN.

when i'm using wifi connection, CPU is 42" (celcius) and GPU (38").
buuuuut, when i'm switching to thunderbolt, heat is increase to 62(cpu) and 65 (gpu).

something wrong with my macbook? or it's a normal?
FYI : retina 15 mid 2012 with 8GB and 256GB SSD.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I forgot to mention bit I'm on the 1680x1050 scaled resolution. Maybe it helps with the hot temperatures.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I forgot to mention bit I'm on the 1680x1050 scaled resolution. Maybe it helps with the hot temperatures.
Yep, I actually found out that that is the real problem. I find it insane that such a simple change in resolution causes the computer to go crazy. What can one do to fix this?

JWorld127

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Honestly its a swap out....the rmbp heats up alot more than other computers playing videos because of the retina and the power it takes to upscale stuff...i have no idea if i worded that right but my rmbp 15'' heats up like crazy when playing youtube or any videos on any web site. Even if i am playing videos in quick time that are saved on my hd it heats up like crazy.

At the end its what it is when you decide to go retina. in fact i cant even keep the computer on my lap when viewing any kind of video it gets wayyyyy to hot.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Yep, I actually found out that that is the real problem. I find it insane that such a simple change in resolution causes the computer to go crazy. What can one do to fix this?
I don't know but I'm not going back to the Best for Retina resolution. I used it for almost a year but I decided to give this one a real try and now I'm pretty positive that I can't go back. On the other hand, since I cleaned up the MBP and swapped the thermal paste, the temps haven't gone that hot (other than the 80ºC mark I told you about in the earlier reply).

I used Arctic MX-2 btw.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know but I'm not going back to the Best for Retina resolution. I used it for almost a year but I decided to give this one a real try and now I'm pretty positive that I can't go back. On the other hand, since I cleaned up the MBP and swapped the thermal paste, the temps haven't gone that hot (other than the 80ºC mark I told you about in the earlier reply).

I used Arctic MX-2 btw.

DO you have any before and after data you'd be willing to share?

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
On Idle I get temperatures around 45ºC (no apps open) when, before, it would usually stay at 55ºC.

Then it varies from what I'm doing of corse but, watching a 1080p YT video does not make the temps go crazy like before. It usually goes up to 80ºC tops, most of the times it stays at 75-77ºC where before it'd go up to 90ºC in a flash (no pun).

Right now, it's like 27ºC in my room, I have 13 open tabs (4 w/ HTML5 YouTube) and 1 with flash and the temps are oscillating between 62-65ºC. Before, I'd need Ultrafan set to a 65ºC target to keep the temps below it.

Other thing I noticed, and I don't understand how this could have happened due to cleaning the MBP and swapping the paste, is that the integrated GPU is used way more often. I'm actually able to be watching HD movies in YouTube and I get the gfxCardStatus notification saying that the integrated GPU is now being used which never happened before. Again, I don't know how this can be related to the changes I've made.

Anyway, that's all I can point out. Great improvements imo. I'm not a pro but I'm tech-savvy, and following the ifixit guide and a YouTube disassembly video, it was really an easy thing to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.