Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
I just added the new AirPort Extreme to my line-up, and now want to add a HD to it so I can stream my iTunes movies to my Apple TV offline. Would a portable or external be my best bet?

I obviously don't care about the portability of it, but I guess the 2 things that are important to me are 1) speed in the loading of the files and 2) reliability and how long the HD would be expected to last.

Does one stand out over the other?

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If it's one Apple TV, pretty much anything will be fast enough. If you are streaming multiple video sources to multiple Apple TVs simultaneously then you might need to look at performance issues.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I just added the new AirPort Express to my line-up, and now want to add a HD to it so I can stream my iTunes movies to my Apple TV offline.
Irrespective of HD choice, the AirPort Extreme (right? Express is only good for printer sharing via USB) will not stream anything to Apple TV, unless you let iTunes read the file from AirPort and stream it to Apple TV. Which means, you still need a computer between Apple TV and the AirPort Extreme.
The other option would be to JB your Apple TV and make it connect to network file shares (such as AirPort's).
Or did I misinterpret your meaning of "offline"??

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Irrespective of HD choice, the AirPort Extreme (right? Express is only good for printer sharing via USB) will not stream anything to Apple TV, unless you let iTunes read the file from AirPort and stream it to Apple TV. Which means, you still need a computer between Apple TV and the AirPort Extreme.
The other option would be to JB your Apple TV and make it connect to network file shares (such as AirPort's).
Or did I misinterpret your meaning of "offline"??

Meant to say Extreme, yes. Sorry :)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I just added the new AirPort Extreme to my line-up, and now want to add a HD to it so I can stream my iTunes movies to my Apple TV offline.

You can store your iTunes library there, but you need a mac running iTunes to stream to the AppleTV, the AppleTV streams from the Mac.

Folks that do this a lot use a headless mac mini tucked away as the iTunes server. Or they connect the external drive directly to the mac running iTunes.

There are some NAS$$ products that can act as a iTunes server for home movies or unprotected music but in varying degrees of success. Last I checked the AppleTV doesn't seem to like them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.