Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdo3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Let me preface this by saying I am new, and I am a windows guy. The only thing is, I've been asked to fix up a 2006 Mac Pro by my employer...

So here is the deal: It gets plugged in, the fans come on, and nothing comes onto the screen.
The Graphics Card was replaced, and its fan comes on, and nothing comes onto the screen.
When the computer is plugged into the wall, the CPUA and CPUB fail lights blink, so I replaced those. Now when it is plugged in, the Graphics Present lights blink, and when I turn it on, nothing comes onto the screen.

I'm told that the RAM was replaced, I've replaced the CPU and GPU, and nothing happens.
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss right now...

Thanks!

-JDO3

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
no startup chime or logo on the bright grey screen ?

Any RAM lights on ? (Red light)
Try resetting SMC and PRAM, one is just unplugging the computer and something with holding a button down, the other one has a physical button on the motherboard, I think it was located above the graphics card near the harddrive bay 4 (Use a wooden pencil, no metal in case it slips)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
What graphics card you've put in the machine (model)? PC or Mac one?
What CPUs you've used for replacement?
Is there OS on HDD (what version if so)?

Post more details please.

jdo3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Ok....

Sorry, I've been away for a while. Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure really about anything...they already had the parts (someone else had been working on it before me). The GPU is an nVidia card, I don't know if its an official mac or pc card, though. I'm pretty sure there is an OS installed, but again I'm not sure.

No chime or logo, no grey screen, no RAM lights.
I think I did try to reset the SMC by unplugging and holding down the power button. I'll check the other method.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
"I don't know nothin about nothin" isn't going to get you useful help.

You are going to need to offer specifics with part numbers and photos.

While a non EFI video card works for some uses, diagnosing a dead computer isn't one of them.

Ideally you would find another working machine of similar specs and switch parts out to find problem areas.

Always best to switch one thing at a yime, this situation you have described is nearly impossible without "known good" pieces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.